Scalable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalable

Hopefully it will speed up my 3D programme have to wait and see.
    Thats cool about UT as its my fav game. I can't stand Quake III although Elite Force is good if not short.
    What about Grand Prix 3. Is this more a cpu or a graphics card hungary game.

------------------
    PIII450@504, G400 32MB DH, 384MB, BX2000 MOBO.

I upgraded from a P!!!/450 to a P!!!/850. I saw the following FPS increases in Q3A 1.11 on my Max using PD 5.52 Full ICD at normal game settings (medium geometric detail, medium texture detail, bilinear texture filter) running at 8x6 to 12x10 resolutions:

demo001, 32 bit: ranged from 40.61% to 24.29%
    demo001, 16 bit: ranged from 64.04% to 21.65%

demo002, 32 bit: ranged from 38.54% to 18.87%
    demo002, 16 bit: ranged from 67.61% to 18.39%

The 1.30 TurboGL generally gives faster rates (especially at lower resolutions) but doesn't benefit from the increased CPU speed as much as the full ICD.

You'll see an almost direct increase of your frame rates relative to the amount you overclock your G400.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

You see the fps increase in QIII 'cause you're using the fillrate/mem-bandwidth savy "normal"-settings. Run QIII at 1024, 32Bit, everything max'ed and you won't notice any speed increases anymore with the faster CPU. I got the 30-33 fps even with my old Celeron300@450 in these settings...

BTW, I found the TurboGL and the older ICDs to scale much better with faster CPUs than the 6.x ICDs, but this was on AMD-based systems, so maybe in PD6 the Intel optimizations are better than the AMD ones.

To the original poster: Overall you'll get a nice speedup by the new CPU, just don't expect every game to run faster at highest-quality settings. The same is true for GeForces as well: With CPUs faster than 1GHz even the GeForce2Ultra is the limiting factor at QIII with resolutions of >1280x1024x32, highest detail - the benches of a TBird 900 and a TBird 1333 are virtually the same.
      But we named the *dog* Indiana...
      My System
      2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
      German ATI-forum

Comment

Cheers Indiana.

Since I have only got a PIII450 I gave up max details setting a long time ago. Also I never place at very high res as I am quite happy at 800 * 600. Nice to though that I will get an increase though. Cheers guys.

------------------

Comment

That's right Indiana, I was showing results from settings that give the best frame rates and yield the most benefit from higher processing power. I haven't had a chance to go back to my old processor and complete the testing so I can post the max setting comparisons. Its obvious you hit the limits of the Max at high resolutions/settings and you can get a 1:1 improvement in frame rates by overclocking the Max.

I haven't tried other games so I can't comment on the effect of the CPU upgrade there. In general use, I don't notice the upgrade. I expect to see vast improvements when I do CPU intensive tasks such as multimedia file format conversions.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by xortam:
            In general use, I don't notice the upgrade. I expect to see vast improvements when I do CPU intensive tasks such as multimedia file format conversions.</font>
            Yes, the faster CPU is nice when you're converting your CDs to MP3. And if you ever happen to do video-capturing you WILL notice a vast difference...
            Unfortunately, even a Duron@1050 is a bit on the low side here, not enough to capture full res DivX ;-) . But at least MJPEG works fine and should as well on a PIII 850.
            My System
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Scalable

Hi

I know this may of been asked before but I am interested if anyone has done exactly as I am planning on.

I am at the point where I want to upgrade my Processor but it is just a temperory procedure until sometime next year when I upgrade motherboard etc.

How much of an increase would I see upgrading from a PIII 450@504 to a PIII 800.
              Would I see the 60ish% increase that I would expect or would it be considerably lower

------------------

Comment

Depends on what games/apps you're using. If you mainly play games based on the Unreal engine (CPU limited) you'll get a speed-up by the new CPU. But if you're playing QIII or QIII-based games at 1024x768x32 (fillrate and gfxmem bandwidth-limited) you most probably won't see any increase in average fps.

I didn't get any higher scores in QIII at this resolution after upgrading from an Athlon600 to a Duron1026 (both ~33fps). These are, of course, only the average fps-numbers of the benchmark, overall the faster CPU will still help you a bit in getting more constant frame-rates.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 08 April 2001).]
                My System
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                X