G450 and heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 and heat

I'm still in the buying phase... If I bought a G450, should I also buy a cooler? How much does it generate heat? What if I overclocked it (or how can I overclock it and how much does it help)?

There's something very fishy going on here in Finland: G400MAX costs over 1700 FIM = over 270 USD, but G450 only 760 FIM = 124 USD !! The only explanation I got is that only one store sells G400MAX and they say it's extremely hard to get them, but G450 is sold in over 30 stores... damn this capitalism...

BTW If I overclocked my K6-2 to 550, how much difference would it make ( _not_ 10%, I'm sure)?

------------------
    AMD K6-2/500 Mhz, A586B (Ali Aladdin V), 128MB 100 Mhz SDRAM, 20GB Maxtor DiamondMAX VL 20, Quantum Fireball EX6.4A, HP 9110i, Creative 32x mx, Intel i740 8 MB (laughter...), SB64PCI, Winbond W940C (or such, 10MB/s), Yakumo EN1570DO (15"), Mice, keyboard and stuff, Kenwood amplifier and stuff, Win98 (seldom), RedHat 7.0 (mostly) (sometimes also BeOS 5)
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

There's something very fishy going on here in Finland: G400MAX costs over 1700 FIM = over 270 USD, but G450 only 760 FIM = 124 USD !!

Similal prices here (80km south from Helsinki ;-)).
    Explanation is pretty simple: G450 is NOT advanced version of G400, but just "light version" of G400. G400MAX is much better card than G450.

PRR

Comment

Only in 3D rendering performance does the Max out shine the G450 but only by a tad (say ~400 3Dmarks 2K less), but in no way is it a lite version of the G400 DH vanilla. It's secondary head has a better ramdac thus allowing it to support even higher resolutions.

3D wise they are about the same (G400 vanilla).
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I can check the prices for you tomorrow at work if you like!

------------------
        Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Greebe,
          Can You point out some features, that G450DH has, but G400DH MAX doesn't? And are there any features working better on G450DH than on G400DH MAX?

Comment

The G450's 2nd RAMDAC is better, it supports higher resolutions (above 1024x768) at higher frequencies

and the chip is cheaper to manufacture, but that shouldn't be of interest to you

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'd appreciate it if we continued talking about the original question.

Does G450 generate much heat? My current i740 is like a stove and the whole inside of the computer is like a sauna (and I don't mean the Turkish ones...). Should I buy a cooler with it, if I OCd it? What if I didn't OC it?

------------------
              AMD K6-2/500 Mhz, A586B (Ali Aladdin V), 128MB 100 Mhz SDRAM, 20GB Maxtor DiamondMAX VL 20, Quantum Fireball EX6.4A, HP 9110i, Creative 32x mx, Intel i740 8 MB (laughter...), SB64PCI, Winbond W940C (or such, 10MB/s), Yakumo EN1570DO (15"), Mice, keyboard and stuff, Kenwood amplifier and stuff, Win98 (seldom), RedHat 7.0 (mostly) (sometimes also BeOS 5)
              Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Comment

my particular G450 doesn't get as hot as my G400 did, Just put it in, and decide for yourself if you need the extra cooling, I didn't.

Rags

Comment

Working...
                X