Why does my G200 fail to overclock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does my G200 fail to overclock?

You should realy try asking in the MGA Tools forum and not in here!
    (BTW I think you are a lucky owner of a G250 not a G200 and no it is not locked)

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

How do I know whether it's a G250?Is there any special sign on the chip that tells me this?
    Asus A7V, Duron 600@900, 192MB PC133@100, G200, Guillemot MUSE, etc.

Comment

Not realy sure if you can tell be the product number on the card but the fact that it has no heatsink makes me pretty sure it's an G250 becouse a G200 would most definetly crash all the time without a heatsink(well at least in games)!

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless..

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

nice ... a G250 ...

the chip should be smaller than the G200, because the manufacturing process went from 0.35µ down to 0.25µ

Thus it should be overclocking pretty nicely, if you cool it properly.

Put a nice HS/fan combo on the chip and try Powerstrip for easy access.

My Mystique went from 125MHz memeory up to 164Mhz ... and that was a late G200.

Good luck and let us know how high you get it.

Cheers,
        Maggi
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

uhhh... not all of the G200s used the .35 process. My G200 SD came without a heatsink because it was made on the .25 process. With these heat is not an issue... unless you OC it, of course.
          Livius, I'm guessing you're running in 24bit color, right? For gaming use 16 or 32, you'll get much better results with it because of the dividers. I can get mine clocked up to 124 core / 165 mem, and, no, at 640x480 it doesn't make much difference - the card itself is not doing that much work at that resolution. Now, running it at 1024x768, it makes about a 15 - 20% increase in Quake2.

------------------
          "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
          "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Why does my G200 fail to overclock?

Hi! I have ripped a G200 from a broken Compaq system, it's one of those heatsink-less SDRAM Millenniums. Anyway, the PLL is set at 124MHz and the board runs at 62MHz core 124MHz memory. Anyway, although the MGATweak (1.20b) apparently changes core/mem frequency, I see no improvement in benchmarks (I have tried a few, at 640x480 in case you're wondering about this). Are Compaq G200's "locked"?

Comment

Yup,same here Anid!
              My Millennium G200 too came without a heatsink. Its the latest stepping, where the die size was reduced to 0.25 microns.
              Cheers
              Ovi

Comment

Guys I don't know what's going on but it's a no go with overclocking. I have tried all possible game and desktop resolutions and color depths and there's no difference in benchmarks (not even 2%). On the other hand, MGA Tweak indicates the change in frequency and it is corroborated by G200clk (but I guess the two progs work on the same principle). I run on bios 3.1 (package 2.03) and latest drivers (6.23). Any hints?

Comment

Working...
                X