G400 Troubles - Random Freezes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 Troubles - Random Freezes

Well, it's been doing that for a week or two now. Everything runs fine when I start playing. After a short while - anywhere from a few seconds to a minute to two - the computer locks up. Sometimes I will get bars across the screen, sometimes I will get flashing gibberish, sometimes the screen just freezes. I can't tab out, I can't CAD, I can't do anything except manually restart.

At first I thought the problem was UT-related only, b/c that was the first game in which I encountered such lockups. When I switched over to Software mode, the game ran without a hitch. I thought something was wrong w. my DX drivers, until I switched over to OGL. Lockups, once again. So it had to be the card.

I've tested a number of other games, including: HL, Q3A, the Summoner demo, and the Hitman demo, and experienced the same thing. However, when running less hardware-intensive games like Fallout Tactics and EW: Cossacks, nothing extraordinary occurs.

I've tried just about everything I could possibly think of that might work. Decreased the AGP value from 4x to 1x; removed the case cooler right below the G400, thinking there might be interference of some sort (didn't work); tried the 6.04, 6.21, and 6.50 Pdesk drivers, updated the card BIOS, Pulled the card out, dusted it off with compressed air and a clean cloth, used the air on the AGP slot itself and on the rest of the MOBO while I was at it. I see no visible physical defects in the card. There are no IRQ conflicts to my knowledge...

And for the past two or three days Windows has become prone to random freezes... just like in my games. When I turned Hardware Acceleration (Sys Properties/Performance/Graphics) totally off, the freezes stopped, so it's got to be the card once again.

Here are my specs:

AMD Athlon TBird 1000MHz
    VIA K7VAT Mobo, KT-133 Chipset
    384 MB SDRAM (1 256, 1 128)
    Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead
    30GB HD
    Internal ZIP100
    floppy drive
    SONY CRX120E CD-RW drive
    Raite RDR-108H DVD drive
    Motorola Surfboard USB Cable Modem (TW Roadrunner)
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI (SMC1211) (Came free w. the cable modem installation)
    PS/2 keyboard
    PS/2 mouse

I'm not quite at wit's end; most of my games are playable in software mode. But heck, I didn't pick up a G400 just to show off. Since I first got the card I experienced numerous minor glitches, bugs, and mere annoyances that were all quite fortunately solved by the users of this board. Now I'd like help on a rather major problem... Any ideas?
    What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books. - Sigmund Freud
    ---
    Matrox G400 DH 32mb, Digital 17" Color, Athlon TBird 1GHz + Coolermaster 6H51, LuckyStar K7VAT (VIA KT-133 chipset), 384MB SDRAM, WD Caviar 30GB 5400rpm, Sony CRX-120E 4/4/24x burner, Raite RDR-108H, SMC1211 10/100 PCI network card, Win98 SE.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">When I turned Hardware Acceleration (Sys Properties/Performance/Graphics) totally off, the freezes stopped, so it's got to be the card once again.
    </font>
    Not always. Just because you turned the Graphics acceleration down doesn't mean that the card/drivers are at the root of your problems. This just means that your system is less stressed (same thing when running UT in software mode).

On to your problem. Have you installed the latest drivers for your motherboard? Have you tried different bios settings?

Rags

Comment

I've got the same problem...and a similar system...

Asus A7V kt133
      AMD 1100
      512 MO

I've already got the latest bios for the motherboard and the video card

I've got the latest driver to.....

try 1x, 2x , 4x....
      many type of bios setting...
      nothing seems to work

so if somebody got a answer... please help!
      it's very annoying....

I cannot finish Blade of Darkness
      (good game by the way)

thanks

Comment

Here is a full list of my hardware....

AMD Athalon 1100 Mhz
        Assu A7V
        512 Mo 133
        Sound Blaster live value
        Matrox G400 Max

Assu 50x
        LG rw 4/4/24

Microsoft intellimouse
        and a crap Keyboard...

all this run on Win2k

Comment

I've found it...

there it is

Résumé de l'utilisation IRQ :
          (ISA) 0 Horloge système
          (ISA) l Clavier standard 101/102 touches on clavier Microsoft Natural KeyboardPS/2
          (ISA) 3 Port de communication (COM2)
          (ISA) 4 Port de communication (COMI)
          (ISA) 6 Contrôleur de lecteur de disquettes standard
          (ISA) 8 Horloge système CMOS/temps réel
          (ISA) 9 Système compatible ACPI Microsoft
          (PCI) 9 MatroxMillenniumG400DualHead -Français "
          (PCD 9 Contrôleur d'hôte universel USB VIA
          (PCI) 9 Contrôleur d'hôte universel USB VIA
          (PCI) 9 Carte Ethernet D-LinkDE-528 PCI #2
          (PCI) 9 Créative SB Live! Value (WDM)
          (PCD 9 Win2000 Promise Ultial00(tm) IDE Controller(PDC20265)
          (ISA) 13 Coprocesseur arithmétique
          (ISA) 14 Canal IDE principal
          (ISA) 15 Canal IDE secondaire

Comment

Why the hell teh G400 was at a pci???
            hehehe
            and i think that many thing are on the same irq of the G400

Comment

Here is what M$ says about random hangs in applications that use AGP calls in Win2k:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">A Windows 2000-based computer may stop responding (hang) when you use an Accelerated Graphics Port (AGP) program such as Ziff Davis 3D WinBench 2000. This behavior may occur more frequently depending on the computer's processor, memory, and graphics configuration. This problem is known to occur with Nvidia GeForce 256 and Matrox G400 video adapters on computers with AMD Athlon processors. This issue is not specific to any particular video adapter type.</font>
              Notice how they mention the G400 specifically...hmmmmmm. The solution is as follows:

1.Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

2.Locate and click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Session Manager\Memory Management

3.On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following registry value:

Value name: LargePageMinimum
              Data type: REG_DWORD
              Radix: Hexadecimal
              Data value: 0xffffffff

4.Quit Registry Editor.

5.Reboot your computer.

If'n you aren't running Win2k...this won't do you much good.

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Sorry.... but the Key already exist...

Comment

What's your power supply rating. Athlon's are known for power consuming, so it'd probably be better if it's 250W+(minimum)

Comment

300 Watt atx.....

and I've already check the volt output whit the motherboard and everything is rigth....

Comment

wasn't there a problem with th sb live too? i think i've read something like this here... i can't help on that but maybe give the experts here an idea

AZ
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Hummm...
                        yhea I think i've read something like that...
                        Where.s Rags???
                        he always seem to got good Answers!!
                        :O))

Comment

Heh. Strade seems to have commandeered my thread. ;-)

Is my problem one that's been recognized w. 98 SE?
                          What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books. - Sigmund Freud
                          ---
                          Matrox G400 DH 32mb, Digital 17" Color, Athlon TBird 1GHz + Coolermaster 6H51, LuckyStar K7VAT (VIA KT-133 chipset), 384MB SDRAM, WD Caviar 30GB 5400rpm, Sony CRX-120E 4/4/24x burner, Raite RDR-108H, SMC1211 10/100 PCI network card, Win98 SE.

Comment

IRQ list please!
                            jim
                            System 1:
                            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                            Epox 8K7A
                            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                            SBLIVE 5.1
                            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                            3Com Hardware Modem
                            Teac 20/10/40 burner
                            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Working...
                            X