Dead G400MAX !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead G400MAX !

Hey guys, I don't post much around here, but I stop by daily to read up.

And now faith has struck me. It seems my Matrox G400MAX has died, or is dying.

I posted a full report on Matrox' technical support forums, but the help I got there, wasn't much of a help anyway.

So I was hoping some of you have gone through the same and could tell me whether my MAX is still curable, or is actually lost.
    Because I am stumped, have tried pretty much anything...

All the details on Matrox' support forum

Thanks in advance
    When I was still a kid, my parents got me a Packard Bell. I've never been happier. Now it's degraded to a foot support.

I believe there's a trick of installing a PCI video card, setting the BIOS to prioritize the PCI video over AGP, and then flashing your G4xx after the system boots.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I wonder why the Matrox folks didn't point you to their own BIOS recovery utility ...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">For G100, G200 and G400 series graphics cards only.
      This utility will restore your Matrox Graphics card's BIOS to the factory settings. Please read the readme file before downloading.</font>

Maybe 'cos Haig wasn't back from CeBIT then ... LOL

Cheers,
      Maggi
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Have you got a spare PCI graphics card around?

I think this is the only option - otherwise it's time for a new card (or should I be saying that to M? )

P.
        Meet Jasmine.
        flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I am using an old Cirrus logic pci card right now, it works fine, there are no other cards in my system. Whenever I plug in the MAX, alone or with the pci cirrus, the same happens, being NOTHING.

It simply does NOT post.

I have tried reseating the card a million times, making sure it clicks in two times, I have already bent the slot cover bracket months ago since it would not fit in properly otherwise.

And the weird thing is that my BIOS does not give me any beeps what so ever.

So I am stumped. I really am.

The recover utility does not work because your system needs to post to read the floppy drive, and it does not even get to that.

I have my BIOS set to ignore all errors (not that it makes any difference what setting it is on), and Floppy as first boot device.

As a last resort, I am taking out my mobo this weekend, so I can plug it in without the case or bracket possibly interfering. That is my second-last hope.

My last hope is my new Abit KT7A with T-bird coming next week. Gonna see if it works in that.

If it does not, I have no chance of restoring the BIOS, if that's the problem in the first place.

I love my MAX, it has served me well for almost a year, I love the quality and the 2D speed, the Dualhead options.

Alas, I am not getting a new Matrox for now. It'll either be a Radeon or nVidia GF2 Pro.
          I am not much of an nVidia fan though, so it'll probably be the Radeon vivo 64MB with its excellent DVD playback, and novel features. I've heard the 2D is up to par as well.
          Not so sure about that on a GF2.

Argh still gotta wait till the weekend is over before I will know the final verdict.

When I was still a kid, my parents got me a Packard Bell. I've never been happier. Now it's degraded to a foot support.

Comment

In your bios you have to set your primary display to PCI instead of AGP before you put your Max back in.

Anyhow, your card should still be under warranty, all you have to do is RMA it.

Rags

Comment

I did set it to PCI init first. Still no go.

And I got it from a guy that runs a hardware site, doesn't even have a serial number or anything on it...

Comment

Ok, I should have read the link you posted ...

Anyways, make sure the card is seated properly into its AGP slot !

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/008371.html

and scroll down to the pictures that ALBPM posted ...

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                LG BH10LS38
                LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Ok, my MAX is fine, thank god.

I got my Abit KT7A yesterday, installed everything today, and it's working great.

So it is my Soyo 6VCA mobo that is dead, all the way Was just gonna sell it to a friend with my P3 600, but I guess now I can just put my P3 on my drawer and watch it at night...

Comment

Working...
                  X