Do not buy a RR-G series if....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not buy a RR-G series if....

a) you own an abit board, and your power supply does not supply A MINIMUM OF 0.5A AT -5v AND -12v. (Has NOTHING to do with the total power, check the sticker!)

b) you need a video capturing device that works properly NOW (We are still waiting for decent drivers for the device)

This post is to prevent any other matrox patrons to go through hell as I did. I would think given the popularity of ABIT boards, it would be MATROX's job to post a warning on their internet store. Somehow I doubt its been done...But please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't get it. You had a crappy power supply
    but you warn people about the video card.
    Perhaps if you had a decent power supply
    that was running to spec, you wouldn't have
    had the problems.

Check out :
    http://www.anandtech.com/html/articl...?document=1128

for an enlightening article on power supplies. As for warnings, I tend to search dejanews.com for potential hardware problems before buying anything. (I don't trust vendors to tell their customers everything).

I have a G400 Marvel + Asus P3B-F and it does everything as advertised.

Comment

I refer you to page three of the article you posted. Quote "First of all, you’re probably not going to want to pay much attention to the –5V and –12V ratings on a power supply since they aren’t of much importance to driving the components in your system."

Feel free to insert foot in mouth.

The RR-G's power requirements are *not* your every day run of the mill requirements and thus should be addressed by Matrox on their Web page, documentation, and sales/tech staff.

coolfish.

Comment

Actually, your quote from the article only serves to confirm that the fault is with the power supply or mobo rather than the video card.

If the RR-G really does rely on -5V and -12V being up to spec, then it is the power supply at fault.

Comment

Funny, I thought the title of the post was "Do not buy an RR-G series if..."

It's nice that you have a Marvel G400 and all, but some us have been wanting to use our RR-G under NT since July!!! I notice that on the "Certified" and "Unified" drivers pages, they don't even list the RR-G, and the listing on the "Latest" drivers page is from June 23rd, before the G400s were even sold... not to mention the fact that it is still beta...

That's what Boul was warning about... The Marvel is a great card, the RR-G just doesn't have the drivers there yet... Matrox is obviously conectrating on something else...
          RBryant

Tyan 1952DLU Thunder X
          2 PIII Xeon 500Mhz (512k)
          1 512MB ECC PC100 DIMM
          Adaptec AAA-133U2
          3 18 GB U2W Cheetahs
          Jaz 1GB
          UltraPlex40Xmax CDROM
          PlexWriter 8/20 CD-R
          Pioneer 6X DVDROM
          G400 Max
          Rainbow Runner-G
          Obisidan X-24
          ViewSonic P815
          SBLive!
          Cambridge Soundworks 5.1
          3COM 3C905B-TX
          Addtronics 7896 w/12 Fans
          Mitsumi Wireless RF Kbd
          Logitec Opt. Wheel Mouse
          1.5M/256k ADSL
          Trusty Ol' Floppy

Comment

What?

The quote says that you shouldn't worry too much bout the amperage at -5, -12V because most components don't rely on that !!

But the RR-G does. Thus, Matrox should state "Hey, you probably don't have the power supply for this card, seeing how it requires something that most other components don't!"

I don't know how I can make this any clearer.

Comment

You can't.

Trinity, I'm glad your marvel is working good (you don't get dropped frames or green flashes when trying to capture at higher than 800*600?)

Abit surely has a 25% market share in do it yourself systems. The RR-G does not work with this brand of board and Aopen power supplies, which BTW FULLY COMPLY WITH ATX 2.01 spec. This, IMHO, is a problem worth mentionning.

Comment

i use my marvel g200 in bm6 and bh6 boards w/o problems.

what am i missing?
                ==
                "In Japan, I was in a relationship for seven years and my boyfriend never once heard me pee." --Miho Ogawa, 29, a Japanese waitress living in New York / Giant Robot 24

Comment

A RR-G. this is about RR-G's and their incompatibility with many power supplies
                  and abit boards, or something to that extent.

coolfish.

Comment

Working...
                  X