g400 max + win98se + s-video output is B+W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g400 max + win98se + s-video output is B+W

I've had this card for some time and figured I'd bring my pc to the living room and check out the dualhead with my JVC 36" TV.

So I didn't have to lug my 19" up the stairs, I tried different settings on my old Commodore monitor (composite) and setting it for clone seemed the best choice.

I realize there's an option for B+W with the latest drivers (6.50), checking/unchecking has no effect (it instantly changes with composite output on my JVC).

The secondary monitor is standard television, I set my desktop for 640x480 (anything else is a blur).

graphics bios 1.9-33
    cpu - tbird 1ghz on abit kt7
    abit kt7-raid athlon 1ghz quantum 20.4gb - 7200 + wd 200bb - 7200 rpm UDMA100-
    g400 max-
    256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME
    dx7.?- V3 steering wheel/pedals - MS sidewinder PRO
    Kensiko (Netpointe) scrolling mouse

Hi,

I get B/W on my TV too. But I use a S-video -> SCART converter to connect it to my VCR. The guy from the electronics shop tells me that I should set my VCR's input to S-video, but there's no such option on the machine.
    When I use the composite cable, the image displays just fine in full color.
    Hope this helps you. And if not: Can anyone help me?

Greets,
    Jorg

------------------
    I am the Jorg, resistance is futile.
    © StarTrek: First Contact

Comment

Hi. There are a few known reasons for this. As your TV is probably fairly new, you should be able to see colors, though. If you are using an S-video to SCART connector, check that the SCART plug in use is configured for S-video input in your TV's menu system (not component video, RGB, or composite video). If you use direct S-cable, check that it is connected properly.

And check that your Matrox display is set for (presumably) NTSC, and your TV as well.

M.
      year2000:Athlon500/MSI6167/256M/10GIBM/6GSamsung/18GSCSI IBM/CL2xDVD/RR-G/HPPSPrinter/G400DH32M/DeltaDC995/MX300/ADSPyro1394/AHA2940UW/3comXL100

Comment

Hi Paul
        Strange that this question keeps popping up.

If you plan to use scart, you need to use a converter that has both an s-vhs and a composite input. You get the sharpness from s-vhs and the color from the composite signal. So in other words: connect both signals to the scart converter. That's all. Else you indeed get black and white only.

Good luck,

------------------
        Peter Aragon
        Matrox G450 DDR 16MB, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 400, Asus CUSL2-C, Pentium III 1GHz + Golden Orb, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 40GB, 256MB, SBLive Platinum 5.1, Hauppauge TV-card, Plextor 12/10/32A burner, Pioneer 16x DVD, 3COM 905C Networkcard.
        Peter Aragon
        Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

He's posting from the US, so there's little chance he has SCART input connectors on his tv.

However, maybe there is a input selector on your tv you have to set to s-video in stead of composite?

Comment

I don't think, i understand how you do this.
            composite and s-video use the same (pin 20)
            either for the composite signal or for the luminance part of the s-video signal. S-Video uses pin 15 for the additional chrominance (the colour information) part. That is the reason why non s-video capable tv's at least schow b/w (luminance).

Comment

Sorry magick, you'll have to accept this.
              I'm not telling this because I understand it, I tell it because it works for me and dozens of other people.

I can just say try it out and see for yourself. And I have compared the "s-vhs and composite on scart" with normal s-vhs through s-vhs, and I can't notice any loss of image quality. The sharpness (and black and white) from s-vhs combined with the composite (and color) add up just perfect.
              Peter Aragon
              Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

I think PeterF is using the luminance part of the s-video signal output, and the composite signal at the same time. If you use s-video only, it should give better quality output.

But all this SCART stuff is not applicable to the original poster, since he lives in the US.

Paul: could it be that there a way you have to enable s-video on the tv set prior to using it?

Comment

When you use Matrox->SCART you either user
                  composite (FBAS) or S-Video. They won't get combinded this is just rubbish (unless american TV sets are designed very strange).

My TV can use composite and RGB through his scart plug, so when i try to use S-Video, i get B/W. This is what you see. Look into your manual if your tv is capable of S-Video through scart. Some tv's have multiple scart plugs and not all can use the same formats.

Comment

I really don't get rubish on the screen. I've been selling lots of pc's now where I use both s-vhs and the composite to connect to the scart-converter. I indeed get rubish when I choose scart in the matrox driver.
                    When you get black and white, also connect the composite to the scart converter, that's all

Good luck,
                    Peter
                    Peter Aragon

Comment

Flip-Oh - As others mentioned, I don't have a scart cable but did see it in adj. applet. Setting it gave me rubbish (as opposed to garbage).

My tv only has 1 s-video input, I guess I could've tried that AND the composite together, but it didn't occur to me. I figured one cable would override the other.

FWIW, the graphics were excellent (Beetle Crazy Cup), but text hard to read (no doubt the HUGE dot pitch on the big tube)

PC configured for NTSC

tv does not give ntsc/pal choice, (50hz reference needed for pal, no?)

I just discovered Matrox tech forum. BOY, lots of prbs, I hope Nvidia people have this much grief (What's an A-T-I?)

My breakout cable has 7-pin s-video as it should
                      g400 max-
                      256MB pc133 sdram - sblive value 3.0 - 4 Boston Acoustics A40's - 3com 3c905b-tx - cable access - winME

Comment

one day to the minute!!

[This message has been edited by paul (edited 25 March 2001).]
                        g400 max-

Comment

Working...
                        X