Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viewport shifts during res changes

Hey guys,

I have a simple problem. I run my G450 at 1280x1024 (85 Hz) on a Nokia 445Xi monitor. Now whenever I play a 3D game (HL, Q3, UT), I bump the resolution down so its playable. Unfortunately, whenever the res drops to anything other than the desktop resolution, my monitor has to be adjusted to show the whole picture coz the position is shifted about half an inch offscreen. Now I dont have much experience with monitor vs. card problems -- anyone know what the fix is? I hate to keep adjusting my monitor settings every time I play a game.

TIA,
    Rahul
    Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
    Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Are you running windows 2000?

Rags

Comment

yes, with the 5.51 drivers.
      Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux

Comment

The solution is simple since you are using a Matrox card

Just goto display properties/settings/advanced/monitor settings and select "Adjust a different display mode". Then all you do is select a resolution/colordepth that you plan on using in games, click adjust the display mode, select the refresh you wish to use, then save the settings for use in Windows, and then do the same thing for every mode you think you will use.

Once you get done setting the modes, change your desktop mode you just set and adjust your screen for each mode using your monitor's on screen display. Provided you have a fairly new monitor that is not an El Cheapo, the monitor will store the settings for each mode. Now when you play 3D games, you will have the modes all set.

Rags

Comment

Thanks for the idea rags. Of course this wouldnt work in linux.

So I can't fix it using any monitor settings. Is the cable the problem? I mean, I shouldnt have to keep shifting settings for every res change. Oh well, prob'ly my crappy monitors fault.

-Rahul

Comment

Of course it will work in linux.

If you set the refresh rates to the same as what you use in linux in those modes, you will have no problem.
            I don't BTW

EDIT: I forgot to tell you to uncheck "use simplified monitor controls" at the bottom of the monitor settings tab, it will allow you to adjust the porch and other settings that will help the screen fit if your monitor doesn't have memory for different modes.

Rags

Think about it

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 21 March 2001).]

Comment

how about non-matrox cards?
              my girlfriend's card has this problem when i set the desktop refresh rate to more than 60 hz

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You have to use powerstrip or hztools, and then sometimes it can be a bugger to get it right.

Rags

Comment

ugh

anyway, thanx (and i do know why i'm using a matrox card )

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X