Best AGR Driving Value for G400Max??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best AGR Driving Value for G400Max??

does anyone know which is the best driving value for G400MAX??

I'm sure it depends on the motherboard, chipset and peripherals used as well.
    I recall my G400 MAX/Abit KA7-100 combo works best with AGP drive strength set to default (which equals DE or D8 hex I think) or 66~69 but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work for you...

[This message has been edited by Tempest (edited 16 March 2001).]

Comment

AGP Driving Value? I've read in posts that some video card makers will provide this value, so try the Matrox Forum and see if they can give you an official recommendation.

Maggi, I don't know either so I leave it on Automatic

I have read in posts about Abit KT7/A MB that some have to set to manual and lower the AGP Driving Value in order to get the system to boot with certain video cards. I would guess you could crank it the other way too.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 17 March 2001).]
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

For anyone interested:
        http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz..._Guide_02g.htm

Comment

I don't think there's a reason to create another topic about the AGP drive strength on the Matrox forums, they'll just tell you that it varies and you should set it to auto... Here are a some examples:
          http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/003018.html
          http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/003384.html

Comment

Ok, here´s the story:

My G400 always worked at AGP2x (it isn´t 4x capable) in both i440BX and AMD750 motherboards. No problem. I couldn´t get it to work stable at 2x in both Abit KT7-raid and Asus A7V (KT133 chipset).

Asus bios updates have made it better, rev 1007 almost made the crashes gone, but it still locked up here and then.

I set the AGP driving value to EA and just now it ran 3dmark2001 looping for almost 7 hours without a hicup at 2x on a 74 Mhz AGP.

SO I think I just found the sweetspot...

But running at 2x isn´t a must. If you can figure out how to run it 2x stable, cool, if you don´t, you aren´t loosing much running it at 1x.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 18 March 2001).]

Comment

My 4x capable G400 always runs at 4x in win2k and winme on my Abit KT7 without any tricks. Go figure. Driving value is set to Auto
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yep. As always, your milleage may vary...

Comment

Setting a value of EA on my folks Abit KX board caused it to loose the G400 ident altogether - booted into Windows saying there was a problem with the Display drivers and reverted back to Standard. Wouldn't accept the drivers when I tried to reinstall either. Of course, I was just playing with it to see if I could get 4X mode to work, so it wasn't really an issue... I tried a variety of values, couldn't get it to work with anything other than Auto. But, it works fine with that in 2X mode, so no real big deal. Yes, mileage on this _definitely_ varies and depends on the mobo in use.

------------------
                  "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."
                  "I wrestled with reality for 27 years and I'm happy to say I finally won out over it."

Comment

Power strip says my G400's driving value is "ECh", if it helps u any. Running on AGP4X with sideband enabled and Fastwrites disabled (but enabled in bios).

------------------
                    P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 160/215 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME
                    P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 175/233 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME

Comment

Is that with AGP driving value set to auto? AFAIK, EC is a stronger signal than EA. Maybe it´s needed for proper 4x opoeration.

Edit: Hey wait a minute, Powerstrip is reporting AGP driving value - AEh - I´m getting confused here...

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 18 March 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                      X