This cannot be a bug list...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This cannot be a bug list...

I was just looking at the release notes for the new (2-26-2001) Windows 2000 drivers.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong, but are the drivers this bad that they have all these problems? Does this happen with other(Matrox and non-Matrox) graphics cards?

Main known issues
    -----------------
    - When running Java program used swing UI, you may see 'garbage' along mouse movement such as menu navigation
    - DX Diag will report that AGP Texturing is disabled.
    - Choppy playback of DVD titles on PAL TV
    - All OpenGL apps crash when started in presence of Adobe Photoshop
    - Corruption in Quake III when you Alt-Tab out of the game
    - Age of Empires 2 won't run in clone
    - Maximizing LightWave Modeler window across two screens causes crash
    - Can't get refresh rated more than 85 Hz
    - Unable to output the Real Media video to TV via DVD Max
    - High CPU usage when DVDmax is enabled
    - Memory leak in ICD when a window is destroyed before the OpenGL context is released
    - Some applications such as VB6 and VC++6 will appear on all your multi desktops.
    - You may see corruption running Directx apps with Flat Panels
    - You may get a program error when you drag the Mplayer onto the 2nd head when in Virtual Head mode
    - You may see a dialog box stating that it is currently trying to shut down IE. If this happens, you will have to click on End Now button to restart your system.
    - When in True DualHead mode, OpenGL and Direct3D support will be in software mode only for this release.
    - When in True DualHead mode, all original DualHead features (DualHead I) are not available for this release.
    - TV out adjustment for G400 is not functional
    - When in true DualHead mode, 2 monitors are only supported for this release

------------------
    Tyan S1598C2 1.06e BIOS
    AMD K6-3+ 450 at 6.0x100 2.19 Vcore
    Sapphire Radeon 9500 ATi Radeon
    512MB PC133 CAS 2 Mushkin (2x256MB)
    Seagate 7200.7 160GB SATA
    Syba PCI SATA Controller
    SoundBlaster 16 PCI
    Sytax Olevia LT32HV LCD TV (used as monitor)

At least Matrox admit them...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Yeah, that's the truth.

While I have little experience with the competition recently, my past experiences suggest that others have even more problems, and they just don't tell you about them.

However this is just a guess, so take it with a big grain of salt, a lime, and a shot of tequila.

b
      Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow? But why put off until tomorrow what you can put off altogether?

Comment

Just had a very quick look and the Radeon had a few of these problems as well, though this is coincidence.

regards
        Interests include:
        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I know that all video cards/video drivers have problems with at least some things, but it just seemed wierd to me that with all the talk of Matrox driver quality, the drivers for its flagship consumer graphics card for a professional OS could contain this amount of bugs.

This really isn't meant as a flame, just an observation.

It makes me wonder just how bad the other video vendors are.

------------------
          Tyan S1598C2 1.06e BIOS
          AMD K6-3+ 450 at 6.0x100 2.19 Vcore
          Sapphire Radeon 9500 ATi Radeon
          512MB PC133 CAS 2 Mushkin (2x256MB)
          Seagate 7200.7 160GB SATA
          Syba PCI SATA Controller
          SoundBlaster 16 PCI
          Sytax Olevia LT32HV LCD TV (used as monitor)

Comment

"DX Diag will report that AGP Texturing is disabled"
            not true on my setup with Win2K 5.51 drivers
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Chucky2,

Believe me when I tell you that Matrox(and all other companies that write software) have many more bugs with there products than what that tiny list shows. They don't tell you about the really bad ones they know about that might cause customers to be upset. There are also bugs in hardware that you don't know about that usually requires a software patch to fix or worse case, they have to respin the chip or ASIC to fix the problem. This is why you find revision changes. There are also design shortcuts that companies make and sometimes they give you a dirty workaround to make you happy, so I hope this post enlightens people to the fact that this small list you see above is really nothing.

Dave

------------------
              What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
              Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Working...
              X