Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post your experiences using BNC cables with G4xx

Hi,

In our company we use many Matrox powered PCs, most of them connected to 21" CRT monitors.
    As an engineer i know very well that pro class shielded BNC cables offer better analog signal over normal vga ones. The problem is with my business partners who cannot notice the difference. I admit that we use expensive VGA cables so there is not much difference when change to BNC.
    I noticed clearer text and sharper pixels but not everybody likes this.

At home I have a G400MAX attached to a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410 (17")
    I run at 1280x1024 and noticed slightly sharper images with the BNC cable.
    Also, when there was a black background with a large white border, the white would bleed into the black - this almost totally vanished.
    The above could just be a fault of the monitor, but the BNC cable certainly helped.
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I'm using a G400 Max with two 21" Sony GDM 550's. I have to say that using the BNC cables leads to a far sharper image - this is especially apparent at 1600*1200 - my working resolution.
      What do you want a signature for?

Comment

I've been switching between 15-pin and BNC cable on a Mitsubishi 2040u (22", 20 viewable). The BNC does produce a sharper picture, but it's a little too sharp for my taste. Contrast is a bit high when displaying text, and if I adjust to compensate then colors are too dark. Overall the 15-pin produces a more pleasing image, at least to my eye.

Comment

kinda off topic.. but where can I get a bnc cable and how much do they cost?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dragonian:
            kinda off topic.. but where can I get a bnc cable and how much do they cost?</font>
            If your monitor doesn't accept BNC input, BNC cables do you no good...

This might be obvious- just wanted to make sure you know...

Comment

I have to agree with you folks especially with FrankDC's opinion. I did found image quality a bit sharp for my taste too. Sharp image is nice but also hard for eyes.
              I'm using Eizo T962 and Sony's F500r and the difference is much more noticeable on Eizo at 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 at 100Hz or more.
              I noticed that corner to corner geometry is also better when using BNC and extra high res (1800 or more)
              Anyway don't expect too much improvement using BNC if your already have high quality 15pin VGA cable.

PS: Cheap BNC cables are worst than 15pin. I tried some BNC cable sets before build my own (more expensive but high quality cables and connectors)

Comment

Paid $15 at a local electronics supply store for mine... it may be generic, but it's very high quality.

Connected to a Cornerstone 50/95 21" monitor (Athlon/G400Max or G450 via BNC and Celeron systen/G200 connected via TTL)

Normally running 1600x1200 24/7 (both systems)

The BNC was a tad more contrasty, so I dropped the contrast just a tad and all looks fine
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

It's the only way to go for razor sharp text and vibrant colors especially at resolutions of 1024 x 768 and higher.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Yep, even on my not-so-very-hot Hyundai DeluxScan P990 the image is noticeably clearer with BNC. The text even becomes readable (!) at 1600x1200...

(And yes, you're right - this was kind of an test reply )

Comment

Working...
                    X