Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool things about the new drivers (mostly 9x)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool things about the new drivers (mostly 9x)

[list=1][*] Oh yeah, the DualHead controls are much improved, much much easier to understand and use. Love, love, love the ability to set properties for each monitor normally, instead of that "Secondary display max resolution" setting hidden in the depths of the old DH tab...[*] Oh yeah, DH works in Win2K (not that I use 2K much )![*] My second monitor (14", borrowed), which Jord <u>said</u> could do 800*600, but would only work at 640*480 (which almost turned me right off DH), now actually does 800*600 in both 9x and 2K !![*] I don't have to re-set the Tweak Utility to force AGP1x just because I installed new drivers anymore!!![*] I never used the Help files before, so they may have been improved months ago, but they're pretty good, as is the readme. [*] My favorite thing: A game which would come up with a black screen if I Alt-Tabbed out of it and back-- still running, but just unseeable-- well, it's fixed!!! I can finally Alt-Tab to the walkthrough and change pages, then continue the game !![/list=a]

I also thought the 2D was a little improved, but then I always get the "new glasses effect" from new drivers ... Anyway, I haven't been this happy about new drivers since about 5.51 for Win98, so I just thought I'd say "Thanks".

Thanks!!!!

-----------------------------------
    Holly

You're welcome!
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Im going to have to try the alt tab fix. Rouge spear would always have a black view port after alt tabing out of it.

Ali

Comment

Hey Holly,
        I am glad you liked them, but i guess you forgot another feature which noone talked about yet. Dynamic memory allocation in DualHead. Before we used to split the memory in DH driving 16 megs on both monitors. Now we just use a smart memory manager when running in DH.

The main boosts in speed will be in singlehead games, while you're running in Dualhead mode. In Armada and Renegade Racers, because the load is relatively balanced between the two heads, performance likely won't boost much. However, if you're running UT and you had Dualhead enabled, you might see bigger boosts. Feel free to play with the slider until you get the performance that satisfy you.

Once again in Win2k, 3D was disabled in true DH, which is why you got it running in a window and 10 fps

On a sidenote, every month i update the <a href="http://www.matrox.com/mga/3d_gaming/home.cfm" target="new">Matrox 3d Game Catalog</a> with all the new games that has been tested on the G400/G450 hardware. If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,

------------------
        "The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

[This message has been edited by R0M (edited 01 March 2001).]

"The opinions or comments expressed by me do not necessary reflect those of Matrox Graphics Inc."

Comment

I admit that I did adjust my slider to 80/20, but since I wasn't really using DH much before now, I couldn't really rave about the improvements.

The ability to do so is pretty darn cool though.

--------------
          Holly

Comment

Working...
          X