G200 isn't able to work in AGP 2x mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G200 isn't able to work in AGP 2x mode

Hi, my Matrox Millennium G200 AGP isn't able to work in AGP 2x mode. Here is some
    more infos:

- the mainboard is an Epox EP-MVP3G (a "friend" of G200 ) with Apollo MVP3 AGPset and 1MB of ROM. On this board the BIOS is the latest version on Epox site and I've installed the latest version of VIA 4 in 1 drivers. In the BIOS I've AGP Aperture size set to 256M, disabled all the video shadow things and Video BIOS cachable. I've an IRQ assigned to VGA and AGP Master 1 WS Write and Read disabled. On the motherboard the SDRAM clock is set to equal to CPU bus clock (i.e. 100Mhz) and there is no overclocking.

- the graphic card is a Matrox G200 chipset (as I told before) with 8 MB of video RAM.
    I've version 6.23.005 of Matrox drivers, 6.23.042 of Powerdesk, 2.7 - 23 of G200 card BIOS. Don't know if it's important, however version 4.12.01.2730 for video driver and Mini VDD. Some settings: bus master is on, 32 bit Z buffer is on, Device Bitmap cache is on, polygon acceleration is on (sorry if some names are incorrect, but I use italian version of the software, so the names are translated).

I'm not able to force AGP2x mode with Matrox Technical Support Tweak. In fact here I can see AGP version 1, Maximum chipset Speed 2x, current chipset speed 1x, current video card speed 1x and sideband addressing ON, but when I set 2x AGP, apply and restart the system, the setting is always on 1x AGP. (the video clock is not overclocked). I think that AGP is not faulty, because when I set Standard PCI VGA as graphic card instead of my Matrox G200, the AGP mode is 2x and not 1x.

Other interesting infos: the OS is Windows 98 version 4.10.2222 A, CPU is AMD K6-II 3DNow at 350Mhz, 128MB RAM, DirectX are 4.08.00.0400.

Sorry if I asked some F.A.Q. or if the infos reported are incomplete or messed, and sorry for my english. Thanks to all of you, bye, Diego.

P.S.: whith the system so configured I've no other problems on system restart or system
    freezes or IRQ problems.

My G200 would not run at x2 either, at least not on the MVP3G5 I had.

When I get my G400 it automaticly used x2 on the same motherboard, and even got along great with a SBLive!. I think I'll put my G200 into my current system (Asus CUBX, 440BX based) and see what happens.

Comment

Update: The G200 defaulted to AGPx2 on my CUBX, it just mustn't like VIA boards or something. Also, it seems to have better picture quality than my G400 MAX did... perhaps it's just an illusion, but I'll see when I switch back.

Comment

My G200 won't run at AGP2X either. MVP3 chipset 'n stuff.

Don't worry, even if you can get it running at AGP2x, you probably can't even measure the speed difference.

Only the newest vidcards actually have benefit of AGP2X and 4X, due to the very high polygon-counts in todays games.

Comment

Ok, 10x to all now I'm sure it's the "normal" VIA buggy world 8)

Comment

Working...
          X