Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st Time I've installed anything................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Time I've installed anything................

Hi Guys
    Decided to go for the Marvel G400 and at the same time install a second Harddrive (possibly a maxtor 27GB or 36GB)....
    1st Question is just how easy is it to install both of these things and set them up ?. I'm no computer wiz but then again i'm no idiot either.
    2nd Question is, given my PC setup, would there be any problems in using my intended purchases, ie. size of new Harddrive or compatability problems with G400 with other parts of my system.
    3rd question, I have MSPro ver 5.02VE Pre installed on my system, Am I correct in assuming I can use this with the G400, and is there a possible upgrade to a present edition.
    4th and final question, any ideas of places to try for above purchases.

System Spec; Packard Bell 400MHz intel pentium 2, 440BX Chipset, 128Mb (fast100MHz) SDRAM, 10GB Harddrive, 512k cache memory, 64 voice PCI Aureal 3D sound, 8Mb 2 x AGP ATI Rage Pro Graphics,4X DVD-ROM,56Kbps Modem, 17" SVGA Monitor..............

Just curious, but is your main video card currently built-in to your motherboard? I know that sometimes PB's and other 'brand name' computer sellers have built-in video cards.

This may or may not be a problem -- you should definately talk to Matrox pre-sales if it IS built in, because you might not be able to utilize your new video card (it depends on what motherboard you have).

g'luck.

Comment

COOLFISH
      Thanks for your reply.
      As I mentioned I'm no computer wiz and as to your comments about the video card and the mother board being connected frankly
      I havn't the foggyist.My system credentials state a Packard Bell Mediablaster motherboard. Is there anyway of checking if its connected ????.

Comment

Possibly call PB. Check PB's web page. Also check manuals. But from the name alone, MediaBlaster, it sounds like it might be built in..

Comment

Believe it or not motherboards with built in AGP graphics have NO AGP slot! That means you have to upgrade/downgrade to a PCI video card. Most on board video chips can be disabled and a video card can be added but some can not. It should bo in your system or MB manual.
          P4 1.6A @ 2.24 ghz
          MSI 645 Ultra
          256 Samsung PC 2700 DDR
          Matrox Marvel G200
          etc...
          ect....

Comment

coolfish and captain marvel

Checked out my P.B.manuals re; motherboard and graphics card.From what I've read it appears that the graphic card, an ATI XPERT 98 VIDEO ACCELERATOR CARD is an add-on card and the motherboard has an AGP slot, 3x PCI slots, 1x shared ISA/PCI slot and 2x ISA slots, so it doesn't appear the two are built in together. INCIDENTLY tried e-mailing Packard Bell my queries or rather PC WORLD TECH as the link took me, since this was where I initially bought my system, but as yet have received no replies !!!! Have e-mailed them again, hope this one reaches them.
            COULD I ALSO PRESS FOR ANSWERS TO MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE AT THE TOP OF THIS TOPIC POST, SPECIFICALLY TO THE QUESTIONS 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 ...........

Comment

Okay, then you shouldn't have any problems installing the new hardware. As for how well the G400/RRG or Marvel would work, well, read through the other comments. You may or may not have problems.

1)yes, it is easy. read the manual (rtfm) follow the directions to the letter, and take your time.

2) no.

3) most likely.

4) I'd go with a local computer store that you've delt with in the past. Preferably a smaller one, one with a good service dept that could help you out should you need it.

coolfish.

Comment

Working...
              X