Matrox G400 and DVD player software.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matrox G400 and DVD player software.

How does a PC with a G400 and Matrox DVD player compare with a "True Progressive Scan" DVD player? The software could read the DVD in 3:2 pulldown to interlaced and convert it to progressive for the PC monitor, maybe with some line-doubling?
    I know a PC has the capability to read a DVD in a progressive 3:2 pulldown method, but I have not found out whether the Cinemaster software actually does this.

I understand the different ways DVD information can be conveyed, as it is explained here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

Just scroll down to this part:
    "An Explanation of Film-to-Video Frame Rate Conversion"

Its also explained here:

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/special_...2_pulldown.htm

So is Matrox DVD player software like a "true progressive scan" DVD player?

You don't need 3:2 pulldown if you're driving higher refresh rates on a HDTV.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Also, when you're driving your monitor with a HTPC, the image is progressive; you're using a non-interlaced monitor, right?! A stand-alone progressive DVD player will output interlaced video for a NTSC TV or de-interlace the frames for progressive output through the component cables to a progressive capable HDTV.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

OK. You say its not doing 3:2 pulldown from 24 frames to 60 interlaced/30 complete frames/second when the output is to a progressive display? Like HDTV or an SVGA monitor (mine for instance is running at 85 HZ non-interlaced).

However, in order to send the signal to a NTSC, it must be doing a 3:2 from 24 frames per second to 60 interlaced frames per second. Otherwise, it wouldn't work on an NTSC TV.

So its progessive unless its going to an NTSC display like a TV?

So when does the DVD become interlaced, going through 3:2 pulldown, on its way to my TV? Is that done by the software, the hardware? Both? You see what I mean?

So if I bought an HDTV, my PC would be the equivalent of a progressive scanning player? So I would have the ability to output progressive DVD signal to a projector, HDTV or whatever?

[This message has been edited by ccoltas (edited 26 February 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ccoltas:
          ... So if I bought an HDTV, my PC would be the equivalent of a progressive scanning player? So I would have the ability to output progressive DVD signal to a projector, HDTV or whatever?</font>
          Yes, if its a progressive scan capable HDTV. That RCA I showed you looked like it can do 1080i, but not 720p: Not sure if it will support lower progressive formats, but it should handle 480p. The RCA little Sat dish set-top box delivers only 1080i so they're a good match (it will convert 720p to 1080i).

Comment

BTW, the difference between 720p and 1080i is extremely subtle, even projected on a 10 foot screen. I wouldn't get too hung up on not having 720p if it means saving some bucks.

Comment

Yes. Thanks for that link. I'm definitely keeping that RCA in mind. There is such a lack of uniformity in all this stuff. Its too bad. For instance. if you watch NTSC on a set with a resolution of 1080i and its displaying 1080i, it is line-doubling and it looks weird! I wonder if it is taking the first line and interpolating the second, or is it taking line 1 and 3 and interpolating a new line 2 in between.

I have looked at some HDTV's and I'm doing some thinking, thats for sure. Make no mistake, this 32" JVS is one nice TV for NTSC. I have looked at these TV's and plan to look a little more just to learn what I like because some were at Future Shop:

4:3 HDTV's TV's
              Toshiba CN36X81 (Canada)
              Sony KV-36XBR400

16:9 HDTV's
              CW34XC2

The CW34XC2 Toshiba's are going for $2999.00 for the floor models. Interesting but no thanks.

A 16:9 HDTV would be odd to use as NTSC because you'd either have to watch it reverse anamorphic (everything looks squashed and stretched sideways as opposed to anamorphic movies on 4:3 where they look squished sideways and stretched vertically.) Either that, or you watch NTSC in 4:3 on that set and get a nice uneven burn on your screen!

Thanks again for the info. I guess what I really wanted to know was this:

From what you tell me, the DVD is not being re-interleaved back to progressive in order to be displayed on my PC monitor? Right? Its going from the DVD to the screen without any 3:2 pulldown ala interlacing frames.

A DVD playing on my TV has at some point gone through 3:2 pulldown to 60 interlaced frames/second. A DVD on my PC monitor is being displayed at 60 hz or higher non-interlaced. If my PC is playing to both my monitor and TV at once, it makes me wonder, where does the 3:2 pulldown happen along the way? Is it only done on the way to the TV? Hardware? Software? You see what I'm getting at?

Comment

The RCA MM36100 looks interesting alright. I read a few reviews and people like the picture quality. The only problem with it, from what I can see, is that it doesn't accept digital "progressive component" input from stand alone DVD players. So that would suck as I do want to buy a progressive player someday. For now, I imagine watching a DVD through the SVGA inputs at 800 x 600 would be pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                X