G400Max + MSI K7T Pro2A = Instability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max + MSI K7T Pro2A = Instability

Recently I decided to retire my faithful BH6 and Katmai450@600 so I bought myself a Tbird 850 and MSI K7T Pro2A.
    When I put it all together, re-installed Windows and installed all the newest drivers I wanted to test my new baby how fast it can really go! Well, I haven't even begun to overclock stuff, and it was already crashing randomly every now and then. Since then it's been all about reinstalling Windows, swapping cards, drivers, cables etc...
    And it's still crashing

Well guys (and gals) it's up to you to try and help me out because I'm seriously thinking about smashing the whole pewter to dust.
    Through all the testing I've done, I've come up with a combination of things that make my computer crash. Playing Divx flicks while Seti is crunching in the background causes almost an immediate lock-up. Seti and Nero 5.0.0.9 in combination almost always lock-up, and Cool Edit doing transformations on massive .wavs also freezes up the whole thing.

That's all the info I can think of at this moment. If there is something more that interests you, ask and you shall be answered

My Specs:

MSI K7T Pro 2A (via 696B southbridge capable of ATA100)
    AMD Thunderbird 850 (running at 30-38 deg. C)
    Titan Majesty V TTC-M5AB cooler
    128 Mb PC133 Micron CAS2 (set to HostClock+33@CAS3 in BIOS)
    G400Max (AGP slot)
    SB Live! Value (PCI slot 4)
    Pixelview PlayTV Pro TV tuner (PCI slot 2)
    Motorola SM56 softmodem (PCI slot 6)
    300W PSU, Moretec (best I could buy where I live)
    IBM DTLA 307030, 30 Gb ATA100, Primary master
    Teac W54E writer, Secondary slave

Running WinME, DirectX7 (tried upgrading to Dx8 but it didn't help)

IRQ list:

00 System timer
    01 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    02 Programmable interrupt controller
    03 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    03 Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone Modem
    04 Communications Port (COM1)
    05 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    05 Creative SB Live! Value
    06 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    07 Printer Port (LPT1)
    08 System CMOS/real time clock
    09 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    10 Brooktree Fusion/Audio Capture Device
    10 Brooktree Fusion/Video Capture Device
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead Max - English
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)

OK, that's about it. Hope it's enough data

Edit:

Eh... Every piece of hardware has been tested in other machines running an Athlon on a similar or exact mobo. Also, all of it was in my former pewter and it worked happily in harmony without a single crash... Mobo and CPU are the things that are new. Go figure!

[This message has been edited by Goc (edited 21 February 2001).]

what kind of power supply are you using?
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

It's in the specs...
      300W manufactured by Moretec...

[This message has been edited by Goc (edited 22 February 2001).]

Comment

I don't know that much about VIA chipsets, but a flatmate of mine also had problems of random freezes, untill Win2k was installed without ACPI. Even then, he could get to install his SBLive! (posted that prob in a thread here even ), so he swapped his soundcard for a Terratec DMX Xfire 1024, and all is working fine now. I still don't understand why his SBLive! didn't work though...

Comment

thanks for the input.... Anyone got some more ideas?

Comment

errr. sorry, i didn't notice it listed the first time around.

Make sure you have the latest official 4 in 1 drivers (we use the 4.25 version), beyond that you got me stumped...
            "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I screwed up my the Winme on my machine last night by running speed disk for win2k on its while I was in win2k. No matter what I did I couldn't get my sblive to work. I reinstalled this morning before I went to work. (I have an Abit KT7). I installed winme, installed Via 4in128v(a) (turbo mode), install DX8.0 (don't have 8.0a yet) install PD 6.23, install SBLive! X-Gamer 5.1 drivers. (you may have to enable LPT interrupt sharing on the SB emulation). BTW I never could get a SM56 motorola crap winmodem to work in my machine, maybe was a bad modem). Seemed stable enuf before I left for work.
              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well, I installed a G450 on the same mobo last week. The PC has crashed twice during the first two days it was used and once it just decided to reboot in the middle of a heavy duty game of solitaire.
                Could be a Matrox-MSI incompatibility problem.
                KT7 Turbo Ltd. Ed. ; Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1470 MHz (140*10.5); 512MB Apacer SDRAM ; G400 MAX ; Iiyama VM Pro410

Comment

Well, I thought it could be a MSI-Matrox incompatibility problem, but my brother has got the same mobo and a G450 and everything works without a glitch so I am totaly puzzled. It's pretty annonying dammit!!
                  The more I look at the causes that make my machine freeze, the more I think it's a bad mobo, or even more, a bad southbridge. Seems like havy load on the hdd almost always makes the thing crash. Bwah... it sucks anyway.

And as for SM56 issue, I have no complaints although a friend of mine with a Biostar mobo with KX133 chipset had all sorts of problems until he finally got rid of the winmodem crap... (that really was a bad modem. Didn't work properly in any machine...)

Comment

Working...
                  X