Trying to get the #^@#in H/S off of G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get the #^@#in H/S off of G400

i just got a Blue orb to put onto the G400, just so i can keep it o/ced. but the prob. is, is that i care about my G400 far to much and am afraid of hurting it , when i try to yank off the H/S.
    has anyone successfully done this and how?
    no harm, no foul.

't is no problem. If your G400 heatsink isn't held on by the plastic pins, just use a razor blade to go between the chip and the h/s. You can use a screw driver to help with the leverage, just be careful what you lever on

Rags

Comment

I remember taking mine off with a controlled twist and lift while it was still warm, came off easier. Of course you gotta mind the force used, or bad things can happen.
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

alright, i haven;t got it off yet ,
        i've tried heating it up first with a hair dryer, and i got really hot (i thought i fried it), then i tried to twist it off. No luck, then i heated it up again and tried to leaver it off with a screwdriver (not leavering it against anything on the card) to no avial
        who ever made my board, my hat go off to you, this little #^@#er won't come off
        no harm, no foul.

Comment

I hear some kinds of adhesive bond stronger when they're hot. so try doing it at room temp or after being in the frige for a small while (careful of condensation).
          P3 650@897 | Matrox G400 32mb SH @ 175/233 | 128mb PC133 | SB Live | winME

Comment

These thermal epoxies are considerably brittle when cold... but I'm talking lower than the temps a refridgerator/freezer are capable of.

There are commercial electronic component coolants available that'll drop the temps down to ~-100f that should work for this purpose. Try any local electronic supply shops... think RS even carries some.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I always use a thin knife blade and carefully work from the corners of the heat sink with a careful rocking motion..

The Twist was one of the 60's dances.

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

While I was shopping at the Piggly Wiggly in Myrtle Beach once Chubby was in the store doing the very same thing!
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

WOOOOOOOT. i finally got the thing off
                  i used the old "stick-it-in-the-frigde-for-30mins-then-wrench-on-it-with-a-screwdriver-along-with-alittle-bit-of-anger" technique.
                  thanks Evil_donnyboy and greebe for that suggestion.
                  and to unlesh the true protial of my G400

------------------
                  Slow people as easy to pass, it's people who drive fast that are hard.
                  no harm, no foul.

Comment

Working...
                  X