DVD newbie: need help w/ my Marvel G200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD newbie: need help w/ my Marvel G200

I'm a long time owner of the Marvel G200 TV (purchased Dec. 98). I'm putting together a new machine with a new Creative DVD drive, and don't know much about what software or tools I would need to run the DVDs themselves.

I see that the Matrox card has an I/O for a "DVD Module". Matrox's site mentions the decoder card, but doesn't have it for sale on their shopping site.

What are people's opinions of Zoran SoftDVD?

Should I try to locate the Matrox DVD decoder bundle, or purchase Creative's DVD decoder PCI card?

Thanks in advance.

K

[This message has been edited by Kino (edited 04 February 2001).]
    P3 1GHz, 512Mb RAM (PC133), Asus CU4VX motherboard (VIA Chipset), Matrox Marvel G200, DiamondMax Plus 30.0Gb 7200rpm ATA100, Tekram SCSI UW controller, SCSI Zip drive, Creative 12X PCDVD, Yamaha 8824 CDRW

If you have a cpu with more than 400Mhz you wont need a decoder card. you just install the dvd drive like you do with a cd drive, windows should install the drivers automatically (i would recommend a pioneer drive though). you should get Cyberlink PowerDVD 3.0 or WinDVD 2.3 software dvd player. wasnt there a player with your g200? im not sure what the dvd module for the g200 does, but you dont necessarily need it. windows has a player integrated, but its supposed to be crappy and i dont know how to install it.
    some nice DVD sites: www.inmatrix.com ; www.7thzone.com

Comment

I'd go with Topha recommandation but I'd really recommand you to use PowerDVD 3.0 I didn't like WinDVD at all. For the HWDVD well that depends. If you want to watch it on a PC with very little ram at very high res it would be great to have it since you'd lack of ram to do it software. If you're going to watch a lot of anime I'd strongly recommand not to use HW DVD cards (like sigma) since these don't works too well with it on PC.

Spazm
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

hardware decoding is faster on slower systems, but as i said, you wont need it if you buy a new computer, bc it should be fast enough and the quality is way better on software. I prefer powerdvd, too but some like windvd better, you should try both and decide wich one you prefer.

Comment

Working...
        X