Correct steps to installing the g450 on a new mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct steps to installing the g450 on a new mobo

I'm still awaiting my the arrival of the G450 with 32MB. I will be installing it on a brand new Tyan s1854 motherboard(VIA Apollo Pro 133a Chipset) with a PIII-450 with 196MB, under a fresh installation of win2k.
    What is the actual step-by-step installation of all drivers and patches that is needed.
    Also, explain what is OpenGL and Direct3D and whatever else that are out there.

Thanks in advance,
    Frank

Frank, you might have the distinction of being the first person to get kicked into the Matrox Hardware forum. Usually people get kicked out. That's OK. I once got booted from the MURC's general discussion forum, The Soap Box, for being off topic.

Let me answer you second question first. OpenGL and Direct3D are API's. API's are standards for 3D rendering and 3D hardware acceleration. The vast majority of games use Direct3D, Microsoft's proprietary API. ID Software, creators of Doom and the Quake series, have embraced OpenGL, which is an open standard. Typically, OpenGL games are based either on the Quake2 or Quake3 engines (Soldier of Fortune is a Quake2 engine game; Alice is a Quake3 engine game).

Paul
    paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 03 February 2001).]

Comment

Now for your second question. I tend use the following install sequence:

1. Windows 98se
      2. VIA 4in1's (Note: I install the latest AGP driver first and then the IDE Busmaster and INF)
      3. DirectX 7a or 8 (depending on my mood)
      4. Matrox PowerDesk
      5. Soundcard Drivers

You can get the VIA 4in1's here:

http://www.via.com.tw/drivers/index.htm

Make sure your G450 is assigned a high priority IRQ (9, 10, or 11) and not sharing an IRQ with another device (other than PCI Steering). PCI 1, the slot directly next to the AGP slot, shares an IRQ with the AGP slot.

I haven't tested a Matrox product with the newest drivers on a VIA Apollo Pro chipset in a while. If anyone else has sequencing suggestions, I'd like to hear them.

Paul
      paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
      X