Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It´s only happening here, or all win2k 5.3x drivers disable AGP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It´s only happening here, or all win2k 5.3x drivers disable AGP?

Yep. 5.31 and 5.33 disable AGP. The tab is grayed out in dxdiags, although MTSTU and powerstrip report AGP 2x. But that´s a lie, because a 36 Mb texture rendering test just crawls. I couldn´t care less about this test but the fact is that there´s a major slowdown in almost every game I tried, specially Q2 based engines.

With 5.20 or all previous drivers, all is fine.

I´ve had a similar problem recently , but that was even before 5.31, I couldn´t get into win2k desktop after installing G400 drivers without disabling agp in safe mode. That was the crappy KT133 motherboard, and after I changed it for a A7V all worked fine.

all I can say is: It's not happening here!

Comment

So I´ve got a problem

I´ve posted it too on Matrox TS forum
      http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/003732.html

Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 25 January 2001).]

Comment

It is possible for AGP transfers to be enabled in hardware, and for AGP texturing to be disabled/not in use for reasons related to software.

Examples where the hardware is setup correctly, but the software isn't:

1) NT 4.0
        2) a missing or otherwise screwed up GART manager
        3) "AGP Texture Acceleration" disabled in DXDiag

etc.

Comment

Other possibilities are programs that disable acceleration, but from what you have said. Probably the VIA drivers.

Try uninstalling the Matrox and VIA drivers. When you reinstall, install the VIA drivers first, and make sure you update the AGP driver to the VIA version, and then install the Matrox drivers.

if you have already tried that, post some more info on hardware + software config.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

When do you install sp1, directx8 and the microsoft fix for via agp?
            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

You are not alone. The 5.3x drivers do seem to disable AGP texturing under Windows 2000. 5.20 is fine. I reformatted my hard drive to troubleshoot. Here is what I found:

Win2k + DirectX 7 + VIA 4.2x + 5.20 = OK

Win2K + DirectX 7 + VIA 4.2x + 5.3x = AGP texturing not available

I achieved the same results with Win2K Service Pack 1, with DirectX 8, and with VIA 4-in-1 drivers 4.25a to 4.28. AGP texturing is always unavailable with both 5.3x drivers and is always enabled with 5.20. "Sacrifice" also reports no AGP, and 3DMark 2000 indicates that the G400 is a PCI card with no AGP. Matrox Tweak, WCPUID, and Powerstrip indicate that AGP is enabled in hardware, but the motherboard and video card are not communicating this with each other.

Despite reformatting my hard drive, lowering my CPU bus speed, and adjusting other bios settings, I can't seem to find a solution except to revert back to 5.20.

System:
              Asus A7V Rev. 1.01 Bios 1.005C
              Duron 800
              Matrox G400 Max
              384MB PC133 RAM
              SB Live Value
              Sportster 56k PCI modem
              Windows 2000 SP1 w/ DirectX 8
              USB is enabled
              Netmeeting is disabled
              Microsoft AGP patch is installed

Comment

Try downloading the latest MTSU and forcing an AGP transfer mode with it. Depending on your chipset you can choose from 1X 2X 4X, and see if this helps.

Rags

Comment

Didn't do anything here.

Win2k SP1 + DX8 + VIA 4.28 i believe is fine w/ both the 5.31 and 5.33.

5.33 seemed to fix some DX8 stuff. EMBM now works properly in the demos included w/ the SDK.

MSI 694D w/ 2 celly 366's, 256mb micron pc133 ram, G400Max.

Microsoft AGP patch never seemed to do anything.

Do you have the AMD specific AGP patch installed?

[This message has been edited by DGhost (edited 26 January 2001).]
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Nuno,

I just CAREFULLY read your post on the Matrox forum. So we both have the A7V w/ bios 1005c. Hmm, I'm putting two and two together here. Should we flash back to bios 1005a? I will tonight and give you my report shortly. Oh, which board revision do you have?

-Brad

PS. I can switch to 1x, 2x, 4x AGP with MTSTU. It doesn't matter where I set it - AGP texturing is still disabled in Dxdiag. Also, the AMD Athlon patch and the Microsoft patch don't appear to do anything (my system was stable before).

Comment

Hi there guys
                      Thank you so much for all your answers.
                      Now let´s see:
                      Ashley: Obviously I´m running win2k; VIA CPU to AGP controller is on hardware manager, file is VIAAGP1.sys ver. 5.00.00.0405 (it appears to be the correct version from 4.28). AGP texture acceleration is grayed out in dxdiag and reported as not available

Dghost: I´ve tried several unninstalls and installs in diferent orders and got always the same results. Here are my system specs I posted also in MTS forum:

System specs: Thunderbird 900@900, Asus A7V-ATA100 bios 1005c, G400 DH 32 Mb with 1.9 - 33 bios, 128 Mb PC 133 @ 133, SB-live player 1024 (on PCI slot 3), Maxtor 13.5 Gb 7200 rpm UDMA 66 on Promise IDE 1 Master, Fujistsu 6.4 Gb 5400 rpm on promise IDE 2 Master, Samsung combo SM304B on on-board IDE controller 1, CD-ROM philips 40x (PCA402CD) on IDE cont. 2, floppy, case fan, 300W ps.

Running win2k sp1 with MS Via AGP patch, DX8.0 + VIA 4-1 4.28.

IRQ table (ACPI system)
                      (ISA) 0 system timer
                      (ISA) 1 Keyboard
                      (ISA) 4 COM1
                      (ISA) 6 floppy
                      (ISA) 8 system CMOS/RT clock
                      (ISA) 9 MS ACPI compliant system
                      (ISA) 12 MS PS/2 port mouse (intellipoint)
                      (ISA) 13 Numeric data processor
                      (ISA) 14 VIA BM UDMA channel
                      (ISA) 15 VIA BM UDMA channel
                      (PCI) 9 sb-live
                      (PCI) 9 G400
                      (PCI) 9 VIA USB host controller
                      (PCI) 9 VIA USB host controller
                      (PCI) 9 Promise ultra100

DentyCracker: Good question As far as I can remember it was sp1/dx8/Ms fix. But I did already several installs/unninstalls in diferent orders, that´s hard to tell. I noticed that MS VIA fix does put another file VIAAGP.sys that is different from the original via one - VIAAGP1.sys. I tried to manually rename MS file and overwrite VIA file, the MS one is used upon the next reboot, but the result is the same.

bradwark: Thanks god I´m not alone. And yes, I couldn´t avoid noticing the A7V 1005c coincidence. Mine is Rev 1.02. As you´re trying another bios let me know how´s it going (I´ll try 1004c later too).

Rags: No matter what I force with MTSU (1x 2x default) AGP is ALWAYS disabled. By default, a clean install of 5.33 sets Mga.AGPFlags to 04 00 00 01. Would you care to check what value you got?

DGhost: What AMD AGP patch? Thar LargestPageMinimum reg hack? Already tried it, to no avail.

[This message has been edited by Nuno (edited 26 January 2001).]

Comment

bradwark, could you please post on Matrox forum just to report that it´s not an isolated problem and may be an bios/driver issue?
                        http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/002450.html

Thanks

Comment

The patch he's referring to (I believe) is the fix for the AGP driver for VIA 133 and 133a boards which was posted by Microsoft. I don't have the link handy but if you go to the corporate windows update site, it should be listed.

It is a newer AGP driver than even the ones in the VIA 4-in-1's (at least 4.26, I dunno about 4.28).

- Gurm

------------------
                          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

"Win2k SP1 + DX8 + VIA 4.28 i believe is fine w/ both the 5.31 and 5.33"
                            NOT
                            Well not for me on server I set up last night/this morning. Epox 8KTA+, G450,
                            Athlon 800@800, Win2kserver+via4in1v28a+dx8+sp1+msfix+5.33. I got the AGP greyed out in dxdiag.
                            Not at all a problem on this particular as it is a server and won't be using AGP transfers for anything anyway. Very stable and burns very fast via its Plextor 1210A burner. Will probably reinstall to set up mirroring. It has 2 Seagate Barracuda ATA II 20GB 7200 rpm drives.
                            [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                            Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                            Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                            Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                            Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Is this yet another Via problem or Matrox?
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X