w2k login graphics 'break'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• w2k login graphics 'break'

G'day, recently I've made this system dual boot a number of OS's...but alas, I now have w2k crashing randomly.
    The problem started when the computer was on during a power surge (this was around 3 months ago and i had a 'surge protector' on the power outlet). The computer was reset only to have the graphics of the w2k login break up and eventually crash the machine.
    ---went to bed---
    The next morning the computer booted fine...but about a month later the same graphics problem happened and now it occurs nearly every time I try to login!
    i.e. the screen goes strange colours in spots and the mouse puts black squares in places.
    At first I thought my card had been 'fried', but if this was so wouldnt the problem happen in VGA mode as well? (which it doesn't)
    I also run unix and linux flavors on this machine and they dont seem to have this problem...any suggestions?
    Thanks

asus p2b
    celeron 366(550)
    256ram
    adi microscan
    matrox g400 max
    latest drivers for w2k

AHHHHH!!!! I swear, I thought I saw a Abit BP6 motherboard there! Ignore what I posted! Alright, time for more coffee!

[This message has been edited by Grail (edited 31 January 2001).]
    Epox 8RDA+
    AMD XP 2500+ w/ Alpha PAL 8045
    512mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    ATI 8500 64mb
    Hercules Fortissimo II
    Tekram DC-315U
    Pioneer DVD 303S
    Pioneer DVR-106
    Zip100 Internal
    Logitech MX 500 Mouse
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 80 gig HD
    Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 40 gig HD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones
    Altec Lansing 641 Speakers

Comment

Hi Caine

I had this problem on several computers I sold, managed to solve it by increasing the voltage of the processor. I noticed that Asus CUSL2(-c) mainbords, and others too, default the voltage setting to 1.70, that's simply too low for 800Mhz processors I used. I set it to 1.85.

I only had this problem with Matrox G450 boards, I also use Asus v6800 videocards, but only if they want to play games, the video output is ok, but you can only watch it either on tv or on the monitor, and the desktop size falls back to 800*600
      Seems that G450's require more power than the v6800's

As I noticed you overclocked your celeron quite a bit. Perhaps it would be wise to increase the voltage a notch, or clock it back a bit to 500mhz and see if it still occurs.

Succes

------------------
      Peter Aragon
      Matrox G200, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 400, Asus P2B 1013, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40 40GB, 128Mb, SBLive Full,
      Hauppauge TV-card, HP8100i burner, Pioneer 10x DVD.

Peter Aragon
      Matrox Parhelia 128 Retail, Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 454, Asus P4C800 Deluxe, Pentium IV 2.8 GHz 800 MHz FSB, Maxtor 120GB S-ATA, 512MB Mem, SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro, Gigaworks S750 speakers, AOpen DVD-R, Pioneer 16x DVD-106, 3COM 905C Networkcard.

Comment

Working...
      X