Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dead G400 kills agp?

short description of my current situation:

-last 2 month: I had one of the crazy EPOX 8kta boards [no picture and audiosignal (missing videocard) after switching the PC on the first time every day]

-last monday my PC crashed 2 times - trying to boot again ->screen dead, monitor still alive, audiosignal (some beeps) while booting; seems like the mobo has gone (see point 1) - no problem - got a free 8kta+ for the old one

-assembled everything, tried to boot.. same problem again... thought that the G400 died(*sniff*) tried another agp videocard (S3)..nearly the same result: no picture, but no beeps

any ideas? is it possible that the (broken?)G400 "kills" every agp slot?

thx
    wulfman
    "Really? I didn't know they did that."
    "Oh yes, red means help!"

I would be more inclined to believe the AGP slot burning up the G400.

Rags

Comment

but that does not explain why the other card isn't working in the new mainboard.

simply bad luck?

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"

Comment

Or a corrupted BIOS in the mainboard.

I recently ran into a problem with an Abit BH6/G400 setup where I thought the mainboard had died.

No video and the startup wouldn't go past flashing the CD and floppy lights. I replaced the G400 with another one: no go. Then I replaced it with an old PCI Mystique 220 thinking the AGP was dead. Still no go. Time to get a new mainboard? Nope....

On a hunch I replaced the Mystique 220 with a very cheap plain-Jane 512k VGA card and all of a sudden I got a display on the monitor!! Just not the one I expected.

The now visible display informed me that the BIOS on the BH6 was corrupted and most system devices were unavailable. No devices other than the floppy worked, and it didn't work for writes. Read only. Hmmmm....

So....I prepared a minimal boot floppy with a new bios and the update utility on another system and set about to fix it. When the floppy got me to DOS I did the BIOS update and rebooted. POOF!! A full bootup. When I replaced the old VGA with the G400 everything came back to life.

The AGP not working with the corrupted BIOS is understandable. The AGP/PCI bridge was likely disabled when the BIOS crapped out. What I can't understand is why the PCI Mystique 220 didn't work either. Probably some kind of legacy support they didn't feel necessary anymore in its BIOS.....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

just downloaded a new bios for my mobo -
          no result [still beeping & no picture]

mfg
          wulfman

[This message has been edited by Wulfman (edited 28 January 2001).]
          "Lobsters?"

Comment

What is the beeping?

If its 1 long beep, then 3 short beeps, then that means no video signal, if its anything else, then you will have to get on the net and look it up.

Google spits out this site:

http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index-c.html

Could be worth a try. Then at least you will know where the problem is.

Ali

Comment

The boards AGP slot could be bad. have you tried a PCI card? Also, make sure the memory is seated correctly. The 8KTA series boards memory and video beeps are the same (i believe. i just know that when it starts beeping those are the first two things i check).
              "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

ok, we can close the topic

the second videocard I got was not working too - bad luck...

just working on a TNT...

thanks,
                wulfman
                "Lobsters?"

Comment

Working...
                X