Underclocking ?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underclocking ?!?

So I'm processor-limited - I have a Celeron 500, but only a 66MHz board and memory ( 192 MB ), ie. no overclocking option. Playing with the new MTSU, I successfully O/C'd my vanilla G400 16MB SH to 115%, but with no improvement in Q3 demo 1, viz. 42 fps with the normal settings @ 800x600 and dynamic lights off.

So, just for the hell of it, I underclocked the card down to 50% ! And, whaddya know, no performance drop, in Q3 at least.

Now my system overall runs pretty hot ( too many old hard-drives :-), so I'm thinking of leaving the board under-clocked to help cool things down, since it doesn't seem to affect performance. Obviously time will tell on that score, but - theoretically, how low could/should I go ? Or will the performance actually be suffering in ways that timedemos and the likes don't show ?

Cheers,

Tones

First, you should be able to upgrade your motherboard to something better for almost nothing. You should be able to buy a new or second-hand BX mobo for very cheap (like an Asus P3B-E or F, Abit BH6/BX6.2 or BF6. However, if you choose not to upgrade, you should OVERclock your G400 and play at higher resolution (With my G400 32 MB DH O/C @ 175Core/233mem, I can play Q3A at 1024x768@32bits with all eye-candies maxed out. Highewr resolutions are more Video Card dependant... But, underclocking the G400 will not make a big difference in case temp. Also, underclocking will reduce the 2D display quality of your card, as it will slow down the primary RAMDAC, which is on-die and core-speed proportionnal (EG: a vanilla G400 has a COre speed of 125MHz and a 300MHZ RAMDAC (5/12 ratio) and a G400MAX has a core speed of 150 MHz and a 360MHz RAMDAC (still 5/12 ratio). BTW, I suggest you use Power Strip, as you'll see the real speed (in MHz) of your core and memory.

Francis Beausejour
    Frankymail@yahoo.com

----------------------------------------
    - Intel P3 850 MHz Retail O/C 1.133 GHz
    - Alpha FC-PAL6030
    - Asus CUSL2-M
    - 256 MB TinyBGA PC150 (2 DIMMs)
    - Matrox Millennium G400 DH 32 MB O/C 175/233
    - Sony E400 + Sony 210GS (the E400 is a beauty, and very cheap too!!!)
    - Quantum Fireball LM 10 GB + AS 40 GB
    - Teac W54E CD-RW + Panasonic 8X DVD-ROM
    - Sound Blaster Live! Value
    - 3Dfx VoodooTV 200
    Francis: 19/Male/5'8"/155Lbs/light blue eyes/dark auburn hair/loves SKA+punk+Hard/Software... just joking, I'm not THAT desperate (again, Émilie, if you ever happen to read this (like THAT could happen...), I'm just joking and I REALLY, REEEAAALLLLLYYY love you!))

[This message has been edited by frankymail (edited 25 January 2001).]
    What was necessary was done yesterday;
    We're currently working on the impossible;
    For miracles, we ask for a 24 hours notice ...

(Workstation)
    - Intel - Xeon X3210 @ 3.2 GHz on Asus P5E
    - 2x OCZ Gold DDR2-800 1 GB
    - ATI Radeon HD2900PRO & Matrox Millennium G550 PCIe
    - 2x Seagate B.11 500 GB GB SATA
    - ATI TV-Wonder 550 PCI-E
    (Server)
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.66 GHz on Asus P5L-MX
    - 2x Crucial DDR2-667 1GB
    - ATI X1900 XTX 512 MB
    - 2x Maxtor D.10 200 GB SATA

Comment

It sounds more like your overclocking isnt working. Try another overclock utility, and see if that makes a difference.

Remember the G400 came out in the days when a P2 450 was the fastest thing you could dream of having. A 500 should be able to push it quite well.

Ali

Comment

Working...
      X