• Show
Clear All

• Ok Murcers GIVE UP!

This is the G800:

Matrox G800
    Release Date Q3 2001
    Core=200mhz
    Mem=200Mhz DDR FCDRAM (6.4Gb/s)
    3 pixel pipe and 3 textures per pixel (600Mpixel/s 188Mtexel/s)
    T&L Engine (20-30Mtriangles/s)
    Designed for Directx8
    Multi-Chip versions

So obviously this is a very poor card for gaming. Especially in Q3 of 2001. Go out now and buy yourself a Geforce 2 GTS or Radeon stop trying to eek out a few more fps in Quake 3. Use your G400 for work or whatever. Don't torture yourselves. Please.

C:\DOS
    C:\DOS\RUN
    \RUN\DOS\RUN

If we wanted only to play games on a videocard, we would have gone for a GF or GF2 long ago... obviously, most of us don't

Comment

Well, I am not going to dignify that 100%speculation-post with a comment.

[This message has been edited by Grego (edited 14 January 2001).]
      System:
      Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
      AMD Thunderbird 800
      SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
      LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
      WinME
      directx 8.0a
      384mb pc133

Comment

Grego,

Too late!

Comment

1st - You have no clue what "G800" is going to be, or IF it's even going to happen, any more than the rest of us do. Your made-up specs mean no more than anyone else's speculations.

2nd - You have no right to tell people what to buy, or how to think. If you don't want to use your G400, then don't. I for one am in no way, shape or form "torturing myself" by continuing to use my G400, and I don't need you telling me that I am. The only torture is having to endure the ignorant posts of fps junkies who think they are all-important and oh so superior to those of us who can enjoy a game without obsessing over the frame rate.

3rd - Your post is a pointless flamebait rant, and definatly did not deserve it's own thread. This either belonged in one of the G800 speculation threads (as your opinion, which is no more valuble than anyone elses)...or even better, at some nvidiot forum where other timedemo addicts might give a crap.

[This message has been edited by Kruzin (edited 14 January 2001).]
          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Going through my PC receipts (wow, have I really spent that much?), I took a moment to reflect. I realized the G400 sets the record as the longest I have owned a video card.

I can remember the constant Diamond upgrades, the VooDoo II cards in SLI...what was I looking for..??? Must have been image quality.
            MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
            Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
            512MB regular Crucial PC2100
            Matrox P
            X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
            LianLiPC70

Comment

You made the right decision Kruzin (your "edit"). I started a smart azz reply when I saw Freak post this message. I thought better of it and backed off. It will be nice to start reading about problems people are having with their next-gen Matrox card versus this rampant speculation and bitching.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Obviously this a troll, but I figured I'd help in showing how much of a pathetic troll this is.

First 200mhz Core, and 200mhz ddr (what bit?) and 3 pixel pipes and 3 textures per pixel pipe.
                Okay time to do some math.
                Given that Matrox is going to use at least a 128 bit memory bus (given the G400 memory bus is 128 bits) And given no new 512 dual bus (to make things easy) we'll go through how to find the fill rate (Mpixels/s) and texture rate (Mtexels/s). Now as it takes a lot more texels to make a scene then it does pixels, your texel/pixel remark is complete false. The actual #'s would be closer to:

(200mhz core) * (3pixels pipelines)=600Mpixels a second fill rate. Okay you were right on that one. However for each of those pixel pipelines the g800 by your account would have 3 texel processors running. So (200mhz core)*(3pixel pipelines)*(3 Texel pipelines per pixel pipline)=1.8GTexels/s. Right near a GforceGTS, with a much more reasonable top fill rate to get to also. The GforceGTS core may be faster but its memory subsystem is the hold back from meeting it. And just to help with the uninitiated, 600mpixels a second (without taking into account texel rate, and multipass rendering which the Gforce may have to do if parts of the scenes would have more than 2 texels per pixel to be rendered, or with the G800 or Radeon [as both have a similar engine design in the pixel/texel pipelines) could still do single pass mutlitexturing up to 3 texel's per pixel]), your top frame rate at 1024*768 (Color depth doesn't matter here, as a 32bit internal pipeline isn't effected by this) would be 1024*768 pixels per frame (786432pixels). Take that # and divide 600,000,000 (600 million) by 786432, and you get 762.94 frames per second. Not bad eh? And how on earth gets these lovely frame's per second. No one, why because we're still texel limited/memory limited.

Well somewhere along the line I lost the continuity of this post, so I'll leave the evidence as such...Have fun.

Comment

Yes, you should definitely give a source where you got that specs from. The only thing I believe is near to reality is the availability-date
                  And even if those specs were correct you still rendered your own post invalid with the last part: "Multi-Chip versions". This reduces it to the question how much the cards will cost since a Dual-Chip version with the named specs is not that bad performance-wise:
                  12.8 GB/s Mem-bandwidth
                  1200Mpixel/s 3600Mtexel/s
                  40-60Mtriangles/s.

Note especially the mem-bandwidth of this beast which would enable it to leave the current Geforces and even the NV20 (considering it'll have 250-300MHz DDR-RAM) behind in high-res@32bit, since the NVidia-chips by far can't reach their theoretical fillrate-/tringle-specs because of bandwidth-restraints.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Hiya DosFreak
                    The key to this years *top* spot for video cards will be those that implement an efficient and intelligent design. Take the latest Kyro boards For example. A suggested fillrate of 6/800Mpixel would give them
                    a fill rate of approx 3-4 times that of their current specs. i.e frame rates of 100+ at 1600*1200*32bit. Heck, that is with all details set to max. You wouldnt even need to use large amounts of expensive ram or ultra fast clock speeds (GF2 Ultras etc) bringing the cost down and making them more affordable.
                    Unfortunately I dont know how Matrox will implement the *G800* or whether it will use other technologies such as tile based rendering or HSR etc. All I do know is that I will evaluate all possible cards based on the following criteria.
                    1) Image quality
                    2) cost
                    3) Raw speed

So far this weekend I have spent over 5 hours looking for a possible replacement for one of my G400's.
                    Geforce MX (considered and dropped)
                    Radeon sdr (my original preference)
                    Kyro powerVR (My current favourite)
                    All others are out of my price range.

Because none of the cards looked at are sufficiently superior to my G400 to warrant
                    spending money (all have good/bad points), I have decided to save my money and wait until Spring to see what new products appear. Hopefully by then some sanity might have arrived within the graphics market.

regards Michael

------------------
                    Interests include:
                    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries
                    Interests include:
                    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

I for one am amazed that this thread has lasted so long here in this Forum (and not been moved to the Soap Box)
                      <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

what a dick, there that was easy.
                        System 1:
                        AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                        Epox 8K7A
                        2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                        an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                        SBLIVE 5.1
                        Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                        Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                        3Com Hardware Modem
                        Teac 20/10/40 burner
                        Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

No, DosFreak is just showing his true colors that is all.

He enjoys being a troll.

Rags

Comment

We all know that the main benefit of the G800 will be mostly centered in it's 3d capabilities,because let's face it,the G400 is more than enough for everything else.

Every other improvement that the G800 may have will probably be relatively minor in comparison to the G400(2D,dvd,dual head,etc...)

Let's face it,everyone here,regarless if they're forum participants or moderators,gamers or non gamers alike,that haven't yet upgraded their card wants a G800 for one thing and one thing only.

It's called gaming....even if a lot of people here won't admit it.

Heck i'll even go as far as saying that as soon as a lot of people here get their hands on a G800,one of the first things they'll do is run 3dmark 2000 to see just how high they score.

I sure hope that the G800 is truly a revolutionary card and can compete on an even basis with whatever Nvidia will have by then,because it will have to.

Even if die hard matrox loyalists here will settle for second place,as long as as it's a matrox card,the rest of the world won't,and that's what will determine it's success in the market place.

But it is a fact that with every month that goes by that the card is not available,matrox is losing potential sales to competitors.

That,infortunately IS a fact.

note to self...

Assumption is the mother of all f***ups....

Primary system :
                            P4 2.8 ghz,1 gig DDR pc 2700(kingston),Radeon 9700(stock clock),audigy platinum and scsi all the way...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by superfly:

Heck i'll even go as far as saying that as soon as a lot of people here get their hands on a G800,one of the first things they'll do is run 3dmark 2000 to see just how high they score.
                              </font>
                              I, myself, will look for the Render Subjects Nude feature. If it's there, I will then benchmark how fast it takes NVIDIA and ATI to go out of business.

Paul
                              paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

Working...
                              X