This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclock your HP CD-RW??

I am intrigued by the letter which appeared in this months PC-PLUS Magazine an extract is copied below....

>>>. I bought a CD-RW early this year and, at the time, it was what I would call state of the art (within my budget, anyway). It supported 32X read, 4X write, and 4X re-write with an on-board 2MB buffer. This has done me proud over the year but, because 1 was making more and more back-up copies, it was becoming increasingly frustrating to have to wait 20 minutes to burn a 74 minute CD.
    Then one day 1 stumbled across an article referring to my drive. it claimed
    that the drive I had bought was actually a different, better drive but with a speed restrictor switched on. Obviously you would normally take this concept
    with a pinch of salt, but hey, 1 didn't have the money for a faster drive and really needed the speed, so I followed
    the instructions.
    The instructions said to upgrade the firmware and switch the machine
    off at the wall during the upgrade, then load a different firmware on to it from a much more advanced model. The top and bottom of this is, it worked and I now have a 32 x 8 x 4 with 4MB buffer and a burn time reduced to just under
    ten minutes. I've not replaced my unit,
    just changed its identity. For your reference, the company is Hewlett- Packard and the CD-RW information was a HP8250i and is now identified as a 9100i
    >>>

I've trawled the net looking for more information about this but come up with a blank. Do any of you learned MURCers have any information about whether the guy is talking rubbish or whether we can all firmware upgrade various models in HP's series

Vic
    ...Formerly Vic but my password doesnt work ;-(

Ummm... Matrox Hardware? Methinks general hardware... KKKRRRUUUUUZZZZZIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!! Get you ass over here now!

PS: I've heard of this type of thing being done before.... but turning your PC off whilst firmware flashing?? I wouldn't risk it (unless you can afford a replacement drive)
    ------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

[This message has been edited by SteveC (edited 19 January 2001).]

Comment

Reloacted to the General Hardware/Software forum...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
      X