Monitor out of sync in NT 4 - getting it back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor out of sync in NT 4 - getting it back

I accidently said OK to switching to 1600x1200 resolution in NT 4 and as a result my monnitor showed a message "Out of sync range" together with some frequencies.

This is a G400 SH and Samsung 700NF if that matters.

I restarted NT in VGA mode and figured I
    would use Display properties to to reset
    as standard VGA driver, reboot as normal NT, and then reinstall the G400 drivers.

No such luck. I install Standard VGA and it reboots with the Out of Sync state again. This was tried many times without sucess. I also tried reinstalling the Matrox drivers, but it kept the default bad resolution. I know the hardware is fine because this is multi-boot and Windows 98 is OK. NT 4 is at Service Pack 6. I used restore from floppy to bring back desktop.cpl in case it was screwy, but it didn't help.

I searched in the registry and in the WinNT folder for "1600" to see where the setting was saved, but it didn't reveal itself.

Anyone have any NT secrets or ideas to share?

The only option left on my plate is to reinstall the beast. I also have Win 2000, but NT is needed for my work with legacy products.

Did you use the <a href="ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/utils/pd_unin.exe">Matrox uninstall util</a> to remove every trace of the driver install?

Comment

I didn't find an uninstaller at the time. Unlike the Win 98 case there is nothing in Add/Remove programs for the Matrox powerdesk and friends. I expect there is a tool at Matrox but one link I found to it on the Matrox Support forums was a dead link.

I did find a solution. I downloaded the 4.70 drivers in case they included better monitor info files, in there I saw information on unattended install run. There was a switch to assign the resolution I wanted so I used their example of 800x600 and this restored the desktop to a good setting. For anyone else running into this, just read the file setup_un.doc in the Matrox Powerdesk folder (usually under Program Files).

Thanks for the suggestion...

Comment

Working...
      X