avid cinema 1.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avid cinema 1.0

If now managed to get my Marvel G200 to work and I'm capturing video as if it's going out of fashion. Thanks to all those who helped.

So here we go with Avid Cinema. As has been mentioned on this forum Avid Cinema sucks. I've worked with a number of 'Pro' Avid computer based editing packages and although they have faults they get the job done. Here are my moans. Which just now are the basics.

1) There is no effect to fade from or to black. Considering all the effects, enough to keep George Lucus going for all 9 Star Wars movies. You would of thought that a simple mix though would be available.

2) Why is there not 2 video channels. If you have a long section of video, say a 20 minute clip of a wedding shot from the front of the alter, and wish occasionally to mix to a wide shot or a shot of the congregation it is difficult with one channel.

3) How do I keep the audio of one video clip while inserting another video clip?

4) Audio editing. How do I cross fade, mix, vary levels of a short bit of audio in a clip, but not the whole clip?

These queries are from 1/2 hour of playing so there may be answers.....but I suspect more questions. What editing packages do you lot use.

MSPro 5.2: it will do all the things you want and more. IMHO, put your AVID CD-ROM where it belongs: in the trash can.

------------------
    Brian (the terrible)

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

I take it then that there is no difficulty using MSPro with the marvel G200. I see the MSPro site mentions the Rainbow but not the Marvel.

Comment

Early Marvel's came with MSP 5.0 as a stop gap because Avid Cinema wasn't finished. So yes it works just fine, and as you may have gathered it is better than Avid Cinema.

-----------------
        aka Chris H

Comment

MSPro 5.2 works GREAT with Matrox cards of all stripes.

Just make sure you also go to Uleads MSPro FAQ page and get the UVAVI.VIO and Cropping.vft updates. Both fix early bugs.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Dishon,
            You can fade to/from black in Avid Cinema - Select 'insert black'for how ever many seconds you want then your next clip, then, in 'effects' select dissolve both into and out of the black. It works fine.
            If you want to keep the video clip sound intact and overlay new pictures this can also be done. Insert your video clip into the timeline, complete with it's sound. Then import sound from your media file of that same clip and drop it onto the timeline. It will go onto the music line. Now try to sync. it with the original and when you are successful, remove the original sound on the original video clip, and shorten this clip to your hearts content, and also drop in your new picture, possibly less it's sound (depending on what you are trying to achieve). You will now have multiple video overlayed onto the original sound.
            A word of warning though. I suggest you do this at the end of your editing as any other sound dropped onto the timeline in front of your 'noddy' clip will shuttle your carefully synchronised sound along the timeline and you'll have to resynchronise! You can vary levels of audio in a single clip by 'splitting' clip where required and playing with it piecemeal.

Best of luck, Les

Comment

Les, I have used those same steps on Avid and they work nicely. The only problem I have with Avid (which will likely make me delete it soon) is inserting titles. Just can't seem to get the scrolling ones to render worth a dern. No matter how carefully I select the font and size and length of title, they still render with jaggies and tend to be jumpy while scrolling. I am not even going to ask how to overcome this. There is no solution. I just need to get a better package.

Comment

What I have found with Avid Cinema is that you need to defrag the disk that the project is on FREQUENTLY!! I have found that if I defrag before finishing the movie, and then again before saving to the VCR it will smooth out most of the jerkiness, including titles, and give me possibly the best that Avid Cinema is capable of.
                As you know, nothing is more frustrating than spending DAYS in front of the editor only to end up with an amateurish looking result, full of jerkiness and sound glitches!
                As a result, I bought MSPro from an Egghead action in the USA, and that is giving me big headaches, but that's another subject!

Les

Comment

You're right about defragging. It does help. Overall, I have done some decent projects with Avid Cinema. It could have more bells and whistles but, it works. One of the most impressive intangibles about it is that most people who use it do so without ever having to seek tech support or any kind of printed material to get up and running and feel the satifaction of editing video. It's easy to see why Matrox made it part of their bundle.
                  As I indicated before, though, I am starting to look for more quality and power. As I learn more and more about video-editing and get more and more creative, I am raising the bar for myself. I will take a look at MSP6 being lauded in another thread and probably buy it when it hits the street.

Comment

Working...
                  X