Preventing clock reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing clock reset

Is there a way to prevent g400 from resetting its clock without running MGATweak in the background with clock monitoring turned on?

For example, the overclocking option in mtstu4 is pretty useless when PermaClk.exe only overclocks your desktop.

Yes, you can manually alter the card's BIOS file and then flash the card with the altered BIOS. That way it will be permanently overclocked and will never reset back.

Using MGA Tweak is much safer though.
    Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I don't understand. You say that the overclocker only overclocks your desktop? I see a noticeable difference (6-10 fps in Q3, and similar %ages in others) when o/cing 115%. I have set it to 115% and benched then set to 100% and benched. I have done this 3 times in a row (both sets-6 benchmark tests) and I see this consistantly. What gives?
      What I would like to see is presets to whatever you like (100%, 110% and 115%) for example. And not have to reboot for it to take effect. This way you could have it at 100% for regular stuff (web browsing, email, chat, word processing, etc), and at 115% for heavy duty gaming. At the push of a button. Start the proggie, hit button, close proggie, fire up Mech4. Much easier.

------------------
      AsusP3B-F,P3 880 Slot1, 256mgsPC133,G40032megSH, Diamond MX300,13.5gigs of HD's,52X CDrom,WinME, PD 5.41 w/ 6.10ICD,Altec Lansing ATP3Subwoofer,
      Envision 17",Terrayon Cable modem w/D-Link nic,1 grey cat,1 black cat & 1 calico

[This message has been edited by Bohrn (edited 16 January 2001).]
      AMD XP2100+, 512megs DDR333, ATI Radeon 8500, some other stuff.

Comment

Okay, now that Bohrn has confirmed that g400 does not necessarily reset its clock when changing screen resolution, I would really like to know how to disable resetting on my own system.

I've tried many different g400 overclocking utilities and they all work alike on my computer. When screen resolution changes, g400 clock settings are gone. If I leave the utility running in the background (MGATweak, PowerStrip), then the overclocking stays in effect, which can be easily verified with 3DMark2000.

Comment

But that is normal. When you use MGA tweak to overclock the card, you must leave it running with the 'monitor clock speed' option checked. I guess it is more or less the same for other overclocking utilities... I only use MGA tweak.

Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
          X