G800???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G800???

So uh...has anyone heard of any G800 news lately? Matrox has been so tight lipped lately that most gamer sites think that Matrox is dropping out of the gaming market.

WHAT THE HELL IS THE HOLD UP MATROX????

Jammrock

------------------
    Athlon 650
    256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
    40 GB storage from WD
    Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
    SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
    Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
    Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Matrox have been holding off on its release for the real Millennium, there has been a lot of infighting at Matrox as to whether 2000 or 2001 was the start of the new Millennium, the 2001ers won. So rest assured I have it on good authority that the release date will be 2001, and I can now also reveal its real name, it will be known as the Matrox Millennium, I think it will catch on.

Comment

Through my secret contacts I have managed to get ahold of one of those 'Millennium' cards. You're right, its amazing. They are using extra high-speed 'Windows RAM' now, and not only that, it supports up to 8 MEGABYTES. And supposedly it has some kind of '3d' acceleration, although I don't know why anyone would want such a thing. And of course, the 2d is outstanding.

Comment

...and something about giving head twice?
          System 1:
          AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
          Epox 8K7A
          2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
          an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
          SBLIVE 5.1
          Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
          IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
          Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
          3Com Hardware Modem
          Teac 20/10/40 burner
          Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Originally posted by DuRaNgO:
            ...and something about giving head twice?

No, the card will feature the unique OctaHead technology - yes, that's what the eight in G800 stands for...

Edit: Unfortunately, due to some crappy M$ code the OctaHead support will be crippled in Win2k so that you can use the second head only at half the resolution and refresh-rate of the first, the third only at a quarter and so on...
            And the card due to unclear reasons won't use overlays for video-streams when the width is a multiple of either 1, 2, 7 or 32

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 03 January 2001).]
            But we named the *dog* Indiana...
            My System
            2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
            German ATI-forum

Comment

Ant's right, if they released it last year it would have had to be called the "BUBBAllennium G800" and it probably would have wanted Head Twice and a beer afterwards.....DOH!!!!!!!

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Anyone still thinks that FC-RAM will be a viable option when the G800 ships? I think it will ship with DDR-SDRAM instead (or DDR-SGRAM maybe). And of course a dual chip version if they can pull off the dual chip working in time (maybe it will be released later, as long as it's not delayed as long as the Voodoo5-6000)

Comment

Hey - no serious speculation allowed DZeus!

Maybe RAMBUS will make an appearance...

Paul.
                  Meet Jasmine.
                  flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

ditto on what Steve said
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Okay, well it's 2001 and want my G800 NOW!!!

Jammrock

------------------
                      Athlon 650
                      256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                      40 GB storage from WD
                      Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                      SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                      Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                      Hope Matrox releases the G800 before rebuild time, becuase the end is near!
                      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by dZeus:
                        Anyone still thinks that FC-RAM will be a viable option when the G800 ships? I think it will ship with DDR-SDRAM instead (or DDR-SGRAM maybe). And of course a dual chip version if they can pull off the dual chip working in time (maybe it will be released later, as long as it's not delayed as long as the Voodoo5-6000)
                        Fullon3d had an article with a Q&A with several graphics chip companies, the Matrox rep kept saying that DDR was a great place to start (in solving the bandwidth problem). FCRAM is a DDR variant AFAIK. I noticed that FMI is sampling the 16Mb chips, but I haven't seen anything on the 64Mb chips (which is what Matrox would need). Maybe someone with more semicon parts info can update this.

-AJ

Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

All due respect Ant, but I can't actually believe you posted that drivel about Matrox not releasing the G800 because it was not the "real" millenium yet. C'mon that has to be the lamest answer yet.

------------------
                          Celeron 366@567 2.2V, 128meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Celeron 566@877 1.8V, 256meg generic PC-100 RAM (running at CAS2) Abit BH6, G400 16meg DH@150/200, Western Digital Expert 18gig, Ricoh mp7040A(morphed to mp7060A) Pioneer 6X DVD slot load, Motorola Cable Modem w/DEC ethernet card, Soundblaster Live Value Ver. 2, Viewsonic GT 775

Comment

I guess you don't call yourself Maniac for nothing

Hint: It was a joke

Rags

Comment

I've said it before...I'll say it again...
                              Matrox has NEVER announced G800 even exists, much less what it's specs will be.

What are you people gonna do if/when you find out this phantom G800 does not even exist?

Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Working...
                              X