Help: OEM G400 16mb seating problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: OEM G400 16mb seating problems

I'm about to move my OEM G400/16mb from my current system to a new AOpen AK33/SocketA based system, and I remember that I originally had serious seating problems with my G400. Before I move the G400, i'd like to know

*Is there anything I can do to alleviate these seating problems, any way I can line the card up manually?

*Does anybody have any gripes with a G400 w/ a AOpen AK33 mobo?

I ran a search in this forum for past messages concerning G400 seating problems, but none of the posts seemed to address how to fix them.

I'm new here, thanks for your help everybody ^_^

-
    Paul (aka Ekapshi)
    Staff, www.msxbox.com
    -
    Paul [ http://www.ekapshisite.net ]

There has been an issue with seating the G400 properly with some Motherboard/Case combinations.

Here's what I think is happening with some cases/mother boards.

Other things to do:

IRQ's: Make sure the G400 is on IRQ 9 or higher. And leave the first PCI slot under the AGP slot empty.

AGP Aperature: In the system Bios set the aperature to 128 or 256.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Thx Paul
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

That IRQ 9 or higher stuff... why is that?

Is the reason that busmastering only can be used on IRQ 9 to 15?

And does that also hold true for Win2k ACPI IRQ assignments? I sometimes get all PCI/AGP devices on IRQ 7, and busmastering still can be used...

Comment

All these answers are in the FAQs. The IRQ 9 issue is answered here.

/edit/ corrected misspelling. That's what I get for trying to type while talking on the phone.

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 04 January 2001).]
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

dZeus,

I think it has to do with different sync mode (like rising/falling edge of the signal) in higher IRQ:s, probably a fix for IRQ limitations in the early specs.

1 min. late, and wrong at that

[This message has been edited by rubank (edited 04 January 2001).]

Comment

It's because sometimes issues result on certain MB/chipsets, tho not all are effected negatively. Mine for example, MSI 6167 (AMD 750 chipset) while running my G400Max or G450 resides on IRQ 5 or 3 (depending on what other cards are installed) are not hurt by it at all.

On my celeron system (Abit BH6)/ Millennium G200 resides on IRQ5 and works perfect.
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
              X