Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400DH DVD Playback on TV hangs while perferct on PC

hello,

i use windvd 2000 (newest version) and set my g400 (32MB) DH-mode to "DVD-MAX" to watch the DVD on my PAL - TV. now the problem: the DVD runs *perfect* when i look at the monitor, no hangs or other unusual effects but on my tv it's terrible; it looks like a movie on my old K6 -> a lot of hangs...

-----------------------
    short system summary:
    win98se
    Asus A7V with Promise Ultra ATA100
    Maxtor 40Gb HDD
    AMD Duron 800Mhz
    192Mb PC100 RAM
    Ricoh MP9120A CD-R/CD-RW/DVD
    sblive 1024
    -----------------------
    i also tried the devices on the standard ide-controller; used PowerDVD; 'got the newest driver & BIOS; watched through my VCR (SCART) and directly to TV (SCART).
    -----------------------
    now I'm going to try that with win2k...

thanks for any help, emails welcome.

christian

are you watching PAL DVDs or NTSC DVDs... that can make a huge difference: if the DVD is 24fps NTSC (film based) one frame will be duplicated every second to make the 25fps needed for PAL. When it is 30fps NTSC, 1 frame is dropped every 6 frames, which also result into slight skipping in high motions scenes. The 24 to 25fps conversion is most annoying however

Comment

ok, win2k didn't work; i've just read the matrox-forum with exactly that prob. and found that (PAL DVDs on PAL TVs) are running without any probs with g400 driver 5.55. i'm d/loading that at the moment, and then i'll try it again - but why don't they try to fix it if it's true that PAL-DVD's are running smoothly with 5.55 ? it seems that prob. is getting bigger and bigger with every new driver release....
      (found sth. @ http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/001423.html )
      ---------

Comment

hmm... someone reported the same problem to me, but the odd thing is that I couldn't reproduce it on my system whatever I tried (and I've played back a lot of PAL source stuff to a PAL tv, with many driver versions). seems like this problem is dependant on the system config (hardware or software) to a certain degree (or I did something terribly wrong in the process of reproduction).

Edit: I am running Win2k

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 30 December 2000).]

Comment

after a d/load with ~1.0 K/sec i finally got the driver. it's workin' nearly perferct with version 5.55. now I'm gonna make a small DVD-Playback partition... i think that's an acceptable workaround until the guys @ matrox fix that prob. ... I hope they'll do.

-- over and out --

christian

Comment

Every new DVD-Player i tried out (WinDVD2k, PowerDVD3.0, Cinemaster2k) showed this anoying behaviour: Every 5 to 20 Minutes the movie starts to slow down (looks like slow motion) while the sound is ok and the picture on the monitor looks perfect. Therefore i deinstalled every DVD-Player and installed my good old trusty Cinemaster 99/98 based setup ( I keep everything incl. dll's in one dir so that i doesn't get overwritten by new Software-Players).
            With this setup there are no hangs. I just watched "Any given Sunday" without a problem.
            What comes to my mind is that the new players are DirectShow based, while the old Cinemaster is not. Maybe that's a key to the problem, maybe not.

Oh, its PAL to PAL-TV and 6.21 for the records.

Comment

Do you only get the hangs with DVDs or also with other video material (mpeg 1, divx ;-), etc.)

Comment

other formats like divX or mpeg-4 work perfect on my PC, but at the moment I try to spawn the video to my TV. I've read that it's not directly possible through "DVD-Max" because of that "Overlay"-thing. is there another way to watch mpeg-4 movies on TV than with the "clone" mode ?

is a trial-version of Cinemaster 99/98 still available and/or with which hardware was it bundled?

[This message has been edited by gluon (edited 02 January 2001).]

Comment

Mpegs and Avis/DivX work for me with DVDMax whithout a problem. There are reports of movies that don't play if the width is not dividable by 16, but it seems i've never came across such movies.
                  On the other hand i can't say if the stutter appears with these kind of movies as i don't have any movies in DivX or Mpeg format that are long enough.

Comment

only DivX ;-) movies that have a horizontal res. that is not a multiple of 32 don't display through DVD MAX. You can indeed use clone to watch those movies.

However, do you get your tv-stuttering problem with video formats other than DVD, that DO use overlay (and are 25fps, i.e. PAL)?

Comment

Working...
                    X