Marvel G400 Mobo Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvel G400 Mobo Recommendation

I am presently running an Abit LX6 mobo with a Pent II at 266 MHz with the Matrox G400 Marvel video board. Working on an upgrade here for the system. Yea I know it is "slow" considering what is available now -- is why I am upgrading! The whole "main box" will be upgraded. I will take the "leftovers" plus a few parts and make me another lesser machine with them.

Thinking right now is to go with an Abit KT7 with a Duron or Athlon processor. Personally I don't know that I need/want the RAID version but the possibility of 8 IDE devices sounds intreging if I read info correctly. Right now the usual 4 are all used here.

I do remember reading of some problems with the G400 Marvel and the Abit KA7. These seemed to be remedied with a BIOS upgrade if I remember correctly. Cannot remember hearing of such with the KT7. I would like to not have so many "headaches" getting the new system to run reliably.

If any of you guys/gals can help me decide on a mobo I would appreciate hearing your thoughts. Another modo that looked enticing is the Abit BX133. Personally, I like the Abit mobos. And if it helps, I do not do lots with 3d games, but do like to work with the video capability of the Marvel G400.

Thanks a bunch -- Watson/WB4EXW

Originally posted by WB4EXW:
    I do remember reading of some problems with the G400 Marvel and the Abit KA7. These seemed to be remedied with a BIOS upgrade if I remember correctly. Cannot remember hearing of such with the KT7. I would like to not have so many "headaches" getting the new system to run reliably.
    Umm... if you haven't already, then you might want to seriously consider searching the offical Matrox support forums <a href="http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaforum/search.cgi?action=intro&default=9">here</a>

Just do a search for your board on the various forums and you'll see what pops up.

[This message has been edited by Ono Tadaki (edited 01 January 2001).]

Comment

Working...
    X