• Direct X Unknown - G200

Running Win95
    Dell XPS 233
    64Mb of Ram.
    VGABios=1.1.
    driver=4.10.01.4260.
    user=non-savvy
    ================
    I have had a lot of misbehaviors since I put this card in (1.5 years) but I don't know if they all are related.
    1) Everytime I reboot I get a serie of 3 beeps (long-short-short) which according to my doc means that the video card is not getting recognized. The monitor takes a while to turn on but it eventually does. sometimes the machine is on but the monitor is not, i have bypassed this by hitting randomly the Escape or the Enter keys.
    2) I lately tried to install Links 2001 which apparently installed a new Direct X (updated from 6 to 7 I believe). Since then my system does not recognize any DirectX (the display properties box shows Direct X=unknown). I tried to install the new DirectX 7 independently from the Links Software but no luck.
    3) I tried to install DirectX from my original Matrox CD but the program could not run as it told me that 'this program does not run with my current graphic card'. I don't recall in what context but I had seen this dialog many times when I was installing the card originally.

=============
    I just downloaded new drivers from MURC I will install them and see if it changes anything.
    I read about people flashing their BIOS and stuff and although I don't have a clue what it means, it seems that the symptoms that these people are experiencing are very similar to mine.
    I am almost ready to go on eBay and get rid of it.
    Is there hope?
    Help!!!

joss

New drivers (5.xx and up) will recognize DirectX 7 properly. Older ones just say DirectX unknown or Older version of DirectX...
    SuRGV
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

What drivers did you get off the main page?

Try the latest set off of Matrox's site and install them. Don't worry about flashing your BIOS, just install the new drivers and that'll fix your DirectX problem.

As for the other problem, er, do you know how to take the case off? If so, check that the video card is pushed in fully and that power cables are all secure as well.

Regards,

Paul.

------------------
      The Pace3000 Network (under reconstruction)
      PaceCentral | Seti
      Matrox Users / SETI@MURC
      Join the team! | Crunch faster! | View the stats!
      Meet Jasmine.
      flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
      X