All OpenGl programs tearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All OpenGl programs tearing

This has been cross posted to Gamimg but it was suggested that it might be strictly a hardware issue.

In all OpenGl games, Half Life, Quake2, Opposing Force, Soldier of Fortune and now Baldur's Gate 2-SoA, there is full screen shearing/tearing with a single tap of a directional arrow key. These games were all unplayable with vsynch disabled.

In the course of investigations, with all versions of G400 drivers up to 6.0, all resolutions, with or without TGL, different refresh rates, Graphic Aperture settings 64-256, swapping out all cards and even getting a new Matrox G400max, format and fresh install of windows and all drivers by myself or computer store techs, the shearing/tearing remained.

Just this month I enabled vsynch in OGL with the mtstu200 utility and the tearing dissappears.

However, there are still some nasty graphic problems in Half Life/Opposing force
    <A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/purple.jpg">Purple drop out</A> and
    <A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/rainbow.jpg">rainbow segments</A>.
    Well it isn't a perfect solution but at least I can play.

I installed BG2-SoA this week.
    Configured it for OpenGl with vsynch enabled in 800X600X32.
    1)The splash screens for Bioware and Wizards on the Coast have<A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/dragon640.jpg"> flashing rectangles </A> comprised of the image from the lower right hand corner.

2)In all <A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/fade640.jpg">loading screens </A> multiple brightly colored stripes appear starting from the bottom and moving to the top of the screen.

3)Less troublesome is that at the edge of the screen, usually the edges of the "fog of war", strips of the next area flash in and out.

4)The graphics deteriorated further with vsynch disabled.

5)The graphic corruption at 1024X resolution is pervasive with multiple frozen residual mouse cursors,<A HREF="http://www.members.home.net/drdebb/images/mace640.jpg"> flashing rectangles</A> and several superimposed image panels, colored stripes, and the maps are totally garbled.

System Specs:
    My Primary Systems specs are in the "Signature.

The Second System I swapped the G400max into is:
    Win98se, P3-500, ASUS P2-99 i440ZX, 128MB RAM, HDs 5400rpm, WDC 4.3GB and Fujitsu 20GB,
    SB Live ver 4.11.01.0711, Live Live Ware 3.0, CDROM Creative 52X, TTX 17" monitor, DX 7.0a

Questions:
    Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing the initial shearing?
    Has anyone seen the type of graphic corruption in BG2-SoA?

I am avoiding the 6.04 drivers as they trash HL even further.
    I'm at the point where I want to drop kick the whole thing through the window.

------------------
    ASUS P3BF i440BX,Intel PIII 500, 128MB RAM,Fujitsu 13GB HD, Creative 48X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 5.52 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, Linksys 16bit ISA NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

[This message has been edited by derah (edited 30 September 2000).]
    Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

Looks like you've tried everything already, is your bus mastering enabled? That was suggested to me when I couldn't get any OGL games running, that bus mastering needs to be on for OGL to work properly. However, the funny part is if I enabled bus mastering my computer wouldn't run stable at all. I never could get any OGL games running on my system with the G400. You are lucky that you can play at all

Also check your IRQ's for conflicts, the G400 should be hogging 1 IRQ all to itself and your SB Live! should not be sharing with your G400.

My suggestion to you would be to try another video card. I got flamed to hell for this, but if it works, what have you got to lose?

Comment

Yes. Bus Mastering is enabled, always has been and there are no conflicts with IRQs.

It is very frustrating not to be able to pin point the source of shearing as I know that if I can correct it then I'll be home free.

RPGs are my prefered PC game genre.
      If Interplay/Bioware are leaning towards OpenGl,I'll have to reconsider having the G400 as my main card.

------------------
      ASUS P3BF i440BX,Intel PIII 500, 128MB RAM,Fujitsu 13GB HD, Creative 48X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 5.52 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, Linksys 16bit ISA NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor
      Win98se ,ASUS P3BF ACPI 1006,Intel PIII 500 i440BX, 128MB RAM,Quantum Fireball 20.5GB and Fujitsu 13GB HDs, LG Electronics 52X CDROM, Matrox G400Max 6.04 BIOS 1.6.25,SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711),Liveware3.0,DX7.0, SMC 10/100 PCI NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor

Comment

hi,

Two questions :

1) did you use the slot 1, near the AGP ? If yes this is not a good idea because it is share with the AGP slot

2) what bios version did you use for the P3B-F. if you use a beta return to the official 1006.

Comment

Are you running Powerdesk 6.04, or the earlier beta? All versions prior to 6.04(The latest release drivers that arn't on the "latest drivers" page), will cause weird graphic problems in BG2. I updated to the 6.04 drivers, and all the problems have gone away.

Comment

Step 1: Don't waste your time listening to pchoi as he seems to have bad luck with g400's

Step 2: Check what Barbarella said

Step 3: Uninstall the G400 and set it up as a "standard pci video card"

Step 4: Be sure that ALL remnants of Matrox drivers are now gone from registry and windows/system including any turbogl's that may be in game folders

Step 5: Re-install driver 6.04

Step 6: Please check back
            jim

------------------
            P3-700e @ 1052! Check it here!
            Abit BE6-2
            TwinMos 128mb pc-133
            G400 32mb DH
            Maxtor 15.3gb 7,200rpm
            SB Live!
            Winblows 98se & DX7
            and 384k DSL!
            System 1:
            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
            Epox 8K7A
            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
            SBLIVE 5.1
            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
            3Com Hardware Modem
            Teac 20/10/40 burner
            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Thanks for the overwhelming response!

There is nothing in slots 1 or 2 below the AGP slot.

My P3B-F BIOS is still at 1003.
              Had flashed it to 1004 in January when I was using 5.41/TGL for HL and the graphics became very sparkly and shearing remained.
              Restored BIOS to 1003.

The last drivers I attempted to use were the Beta 6.0. They completely trashed HL: full screen disco effect, text was blocked out, purple drop out and crashes to desktop on loads and saves. And of course shearing.
              Went back to the 5.52 with native ICD.
              At this point tested out other OGL games (OpFor, Q2, SoF) to see if the problem (shearing)was general to OGL. Appears so.

I was in the registry today and found http://forum.matrox.com/mgaforum/For...ML/000687.html

Looks like the Add/Remove for the Beta 6.0 drivers wasn't thorough. Can I just delete the version 6 Powerdesk folder?

So in a nutshell, use mtstu200 to set all G400 values to default and then uninstall this utility.
              I should use PDuninstall to remove 5.52, manually remove PD*.* files, yank(?) out references to PD version 6 in registry.
              Install 6.04.
              Check out BG2 and HL.
              If this doesn't work, flash P3B-F BIOS to 1006.

Thanks for the support.
              I'll let you know.

------------------

Comment

You should flash the mobo bios right away, it'll usually do more good than staying with an older bios
                jim
                System 1:
                AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                Epox 8K7A
                2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                SBLIVE 5.1
                Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                3Com Hardware Modem
                Teac 20/10/40 burner
                Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Hah! No one even touched this post until I replied to it =P

You should check the Raven forums, they have a bunch of posts over there regarding the G400 and texture tearing. A lot of suggestions have been posted, while none of them are magical fixes a lot of people have found some use for them (and some still have the problem).

The link is:
                  http://www2.ravensoft.com/cgi-bin/ub...=10&LastLogin=

And no time is actually wasted if you gain knowledge.

Good luck!

Comment

If you mean what I think you do by 'shearing/tearing' then it is to be expected with vsync disabled, especially if you are running at a low refresh rate. Its caused by the monitor redrawing the screen while the gfx card is halfway through drawing a frame and is most noticeable with sideways movement. Vsync forces the gfx card to only draw a frame in sync with the monitors refresh.

When you install the new drivers I'd get rid of turboGL too, especially for any games that it doesn't explicitly support. To do this delete Opengl32.dll from any game directories its in.

------------------
                    P3-700E@933, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC133... Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Comment

pchoi:
                      Thanks for the link.
                      I agree, learning is never a waste of time.

Raptor:
                      I know what vsynch is The problem is why I'm seeing it on this system. I've been corresponding with others with virtually the same system and they have no shear in OGL.
                      The Viewsonic E790 should have no problem keeping up with the G400max and vice versa. The Viewsonic techs are stumped as well.

I haven't used TGL in months. Only used it with the 5.41 drivers and HL/OpFor.
                      With the 5.52 drivers, I'm using the native
                      G400icd.dll in windows/system

------------------
                      ASUS P3BF i440BX,Intel PIII 500, 128MB RAM,Fujitsu 13GB HD, Creative 48X CDROM,
                      HP CD-RW 9310i, Matrox G400Max 5.52 BIOS 1.6.25, SB Live MP3+(ver 4.06.711), Liveware3.0,DX7.0, Linksys 16bit ISA NIC/cable internet, Viewsonic E790 19" monitor, 1024X768X32 FV 85hZ

[This message has been edited by derah (edited 03 October 2000).]

Comment

with regard to the tearing - are you sure that you are running at 85Hz in game, I think going to OpenGL or D3D fullscreen changes your refresh to the 'default' setting for the res, normally 60Hz. Can you check on your monitor what the refresh is? If this is a problem, you can use powerdesk to change the default refresh for each res

Have you tried forcing 1x AGP through mtsu200? Most of your screenies look like texture corruption of some sort. This could also be related to the old version of BIOS you are using on your mobo not having a complete/correct AGP implementation

------------------
                        P3-700E@933, Abit BF6, G400 MAX, 8.6 gig Seagate, 8.6 gig WD, SBLive 1024, 256Mb PC133... Logitech Optical Wheel Mouse, Keyb, Stuff

Comment

The Viewsonic allows you to determine Fv and Hv during game play by just pressing a button. A window pops up with the values.
                          Very helpful. It says 85

In another post (Gurm's in Gaming Forum ?), there was mention of setting refresh rate for BG2 through the baldurs.ini file...
                          yup.. Display Frequency is set to 60!!!
                          I'll set it to 85 and see what happens.

I've tried setting to AGPX1 with the mtstu200 and things get much worse.

------------------

Comment

Things get worse at AGP 1X? now thats freaky....

Although it does point at some sort of AGP issue.

I have to agree that flashing with the latest (stable) mobo BIOS is a good idea, perhaps it includes some AGP related fixes.

Comment

hi,

Linksys 16bit ISA NIC/cable internet

did you try removing this card.

1) remove
                              2) boot
                              3) shutdown
                              4) reboot and test

please use the most recent bios for the P3B-F. i myself have a G400 with P3B-F an isa card (SCSI/scanner) sound blaster, 3COM 905B (ADSL), Promise ultra 66 DVDrom 2 hard drives (one with W98 and the other with NT4).

All works fine. 9 month with 500 Mhz Katmai and now with 700 coppermine. So be confident

Comment

Working...
                              X