G400Max and Win2k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400Max and Win2k

I keep having trouble with my Win2k and G400 card. I boot win2k install the drivers. And set the resolution i want, it finds my monitor and everything is a.ok. When i restart everything is gone and i am back in 640 x 480 and 16 colors. Enyone else had this problem?

Welcome to our forum Domingus!
    Have you enabled IRQ for vga in the BIOS!
    Is your matrox sharing IRQ with any othe card!?
    What driver version are you using?

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Bad dog. BAD DOG! I SAID BAD DOG!!! Go HUMP SOMEONE ELSES LEG GODDAMNIT!!!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 02 December 2000).]
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Also make sure you are logged in as admin.

Rags

Comment

The AGP support is on.
        I am logged in as Administrator.
        and here is my IRQ list:

System Information report written at: 03.12.2000 03:00:20
        [IRQs]

IRQ Number Device
        9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
        11 Matrox Millennium G400 DualHead - English
        11 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
        11 Highpoint Technology Inc. Hpt366 Ultra DMA 66 Controller
        11 Highpoint Technology Inc. Hpt366 Ultra DMA 66 Controller
        8 System CMOS/real time clock
        13 Numeric data processor
        6 Standard floppy disk controller
        4 Communications Port (COM1)
        3 Communications Port (COM2)
        12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse
        1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
        5 Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB16 compatible) (WDM)
        14 Primary IDE Channel
        15 Secondary IDE Channel
        10 Multimedia Controller

I got a Abit BE6II motherboard.

These are the drivers i have tried: 5.20, 5.14 and 5.11. No one seems to correct my problem.

The most annoying is that i have had this thing to work before. I had the same problems. That time i installed an older driver. 5.11 But this doesnt seem to help much this time araound.

Comment

Strange. I use to use a G400 on the BE6 and it worked fine. It never shared IRQ's with the 66 controllers tho. This is an AGP G400 right?

[This message has been edited by DosFreak (edited 03 December 2000).]
          C:\DOS
          C:\DOS\RUN
          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

He's running ACPI mode in W2K. All buss mastering cards and controllers share an interupt.

Do you use the set-up program to install the Powerdesk? Is PD installed? Hit CNTL-SHFT-ESC and make sure you have PD as a process.

Previously, people have had trouble seating their G400 cards in ABIT MBs. Make sure your cards is well seated, and then try again. Under some circumstances, it can be very difficult to get the card to sit perfectly flat in the slot.

Another possible fix is to reflash the G400 BIOS.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 03 December 2000).]

Comment

I have 6 computers with ABIT BF6 and G400 .. after isntalling 5.20 drivers 4 comps are OK , 2 comps are down .. booting just in VGA mode .. No IRQ sharing , no ACPI .. I had asked in Matrox forum .. No luck .. Only sollutoin is format and fresh install of drivers ..

Comment

Have you enabled IRQ for vga in the BIOS!

Not AGP. But there should be a setting like "IRQ for AGP/VGA" or somesuch.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Im sorry. Itr was a typo.
                  The choice in the abit softmenu says enable VGA. And i have enabled it.

And as i said before, i have had this problem before and "solved" it without reformatting drives. I have also installed win98SE and here he drivers work fine and everything is going excellent. Its only win2k that cause me problems.

I have flashed the G400 Bios with the latest Bios driver avail. The same for the AbitBe6II card. No luck.

Find it very strange that the G400 is detected under installiation of the drivers.
                  But not under rebooting. If the card was installed badly (eg not good enough in the AGP slot) wouldnt it have had trouble finding it in the first place?

But then again Computers never seems to stop surprising me with problems that need rare and extraordinary workaraounds.

As for the PD i will have to check that tomorrow. I am to have my final exams in a little under 5 hours. (And im still 200 pages behind...(

Comment

i have the same problem. only, mine used to work (see the topic "win2k vid drivers wont go away"). you can know my full situation by reading that. However, try installing the 5.06 drivers and see if that works. if you find a solution, please tell me

Comment

Just something to do.. disable COM2 (Serial port 2) in the BIOS unless you are using it for some odd reason. It'll free up IRQ3.
                      My guess is there is a conflict between the POS hpt udma66 controler and the G400

Comment

I have that problem once in a while... OS just crashes and after restart i get 640x480x4... restarting doesn't help.
                        There are couple of ways I found to solve it:
                        1) Use uninstall utility to remove matrox drivers completely
                        2) Turn compute completely off and wait say 10 mins.

------------------
                        • vanilla G400 DH 32 Mb PD5.20 w/o o/c
                        • Asus K7V w/sound bios 1007
                        • W2K Workstation, SP1
                        • RedHat 6.2
                        • Athlon 700 w/o o/c
                        • 256 Mb PC133 RAM
                        • IBM DPTA-372050 20Gb 7200Rpm
                        • TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1302
                        • Viewsonic PF790 flatscreen 19' & IBM G54 15'
                        • HP ScanJet 5200C still on parallel
                        • 3Com 3C905B-TX & LAN via T1 ;-)
                        • WebCam 3 USB
                        • Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB connected
                        • Sony MDR-CD360 headphones
                        • MX300 in the drawer
                        Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

BTW, the inadequate seating of the G400s was manifested in any number of strange symptoms. The cards were all (if I remember correctly) detected and appeared normal until drivers were installed.

Here's a link to this issue:
                          http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/008371.html

If you have time, search this forum for related topics. There are a lot of them.

[This message has been edited by Brian R. (edited 04 December 2000).]

Comment

Pythin, I have 4 BF6's built right now with G400's in them, they all work great in win2k with the 5.20 drivers. Maybe you need a bios update for your BF6?

Rags

Comment

Do anyone know if Gigabyte Mobos has problems with G400 card's?

I'm going to build a new box with one.
                              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                              X