X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quote for everyone mull over

Quoted from www.3dnhardware.net

Matrox
    "Matrox has not given up the fight when it comes to high-end gaming products and should have their "G800" product announced in spring 2001. Being first with widely available DualHead technology and EMBM (Enviroment Mapped Bump Mapping) Matrox is expected to further enhance user features and versatility. "

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

even if true, judging by the MAX fiasco, product announced doesn't = general availability to public till a few months down the line!

Comment

Problem with cards like ATI radeon is there is no custom refresh rate settings, so you could find your self in a whole lot of mess with that. On the other hand you have the G400 and custom refresh rates. I guess to have ATI you have to give up something us matrox users take for granted and that custom refresh for faster FPS and more features.

Comment

Custom refresh rates is a very good thing but the thing I like the most about the G400 is the image quality, but here the Radeon is excellent too (saw it in action the other day).

On top of everything the Radeon also supports EMBM. Ever played a game with EMBM?

Looks fantastic.

Comment

This is the first quote so far that I have seen, concerning the G800, that is at least half-way correct.

Joel
          Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
          Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Nvidia
            "Nvidia has not given up the fight when it comes to high-end gaming products and should have their "NV20" product announced in spring 2001. Being first with widely available T&L technology and Pixel Shaders Nvidia is expected to further enhance user features and versatility. "

C:\DOS
            C:\DOS\RUN
            \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

If you are going to quote something you should at least get it right.

Nvidia and Matrox have not aquired any companies when it comes to 3D rendering technology and rely heavily on in-house expertise and capabilities.
              We already know that Nvidia is doing the NV20, or "GeForce3" (hope they do not name it that). We have posted a few rumours about NV20 here.
              Nvidia has gone with brute force (also what 3dfx did with Voodoo3) and constantly increasing clock frequencies on their products. The GeForce2 Ultra is already the fastest running chip (in terms of clock frequency) and an increase in frequency could very well happen for the NV20..

Nvidia, being the current market leader with the fastest product available (the GeForce2 Ultra) definitely has a lot of pressure on them. By having such a fast product already everyone expects of them to do wonders with the 'NV20', it has to have a noticeable performance increase and offer new increadible features. Being market leader has its obvious benefits but the downside is that people expect much more and impressing the consumers gets much harder. Nvidia is now almost in the position 3dfx had during the Voodoo Graphics and Voodoo 2 days. Then again it was also during the end of Voodoo2's lifecycle that Nvidia started to pass 3dfx in terms of everything. Will we see Nvidia being overthrown by another company soon?
              Joel

[This message has been edited by Joel (edited 24 November 2000).]

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.

Comment

I'm beginning to think Joel knows something. If we all send him a dollar, maybe he'll violate his NDA.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

Comment

What's that Paul? You want clock speeds and the like? hehe sorry I couldn't resist!
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Send ME the dollar! I'm still in college, and need the money.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

But I have five kids to feed.

Joel

www.lp.org

Comment

Quick! Someone send Joel a box of condoms

Comment

I know where to send the money.
                          Maybe we'll get Rags to riches.

I know, you can hit me when you meet me
                          P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                          Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Samir Elahcene wrote
                            I honestly don't think Matrox are going to be able to compete for much longer in the high-performance gaming market. They've fallen way behind, and they are going to find it extremely difficult to re-emerge.
                            This is a rationale I just don't get...
                            Because there is no product release they Fall behind?? Behind what?? Number of Cards released in one year stat. collumn??
                            Couldn't it be Matrox (and other Co's) just don't see the need for a 6mo. Cycle??

I see it like this, They release a product when it truly is an upgrade from their previous products... A small speed step can be nice, but from a Company standpoint is dangerous if you spend money on roll out and it flops because your competitors chip can clock higher, or other factors....
                            It's betting alot on manufacturing fab processes and on demand...

when that money could be better spent in R&D for a true next gen...
                            But that is the advantage a "chipset" maker has over a "Board Manufacturer", it costs alot less for nvidia to roll out another speed step than for Matrox (or another Co.) to rollout a complete board with promotion, packaging, etc.

Opinions by...
                            Craig

------------------
                            P3-700E @933|128 PC100|Asus P2B Rev.1.10|G400 32Mb DH|PCI64

[This message has been edited by Stringy (edited 25 November 2000).]
                            1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I know where to send the money.
                              Maybe we'll get Rags to riches.
                              No need for you to send me money, I can take care of that myself, thanks.

I know, you can hit me when you meet me
                              Why would I do that?

Rags

Comment

Working...
                              X