Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dammit! Dammit! Dammit!

Just when I finally have everything running good, my G400 Max decides to go flaky on me. If I open up ANY window and...let's say...drag it around the desktop, it get's 'dirty', i.e., pixels turning on where they shouldn't. Kinda looks like what you see when you overclock your vid card memory too high, only I don't do any overclocking. In addition, the text in documents 'shimmers', like it has some sort of 60 cycle interference, only nothing on the system has changed. I even stuck the card in my primary machine...does the same thing. I'm bummed...

What kind of hoops am I going to have to jump through to get the card replaced?

Make sure the fan is working on the card.

Rags

Comment

I've seen this with some G200's I've used in Customer's machines...
      Usually I just re-flash the Bios and all is well again, that is if the card doesn't completely fail (which can usually still be fixed with a re-flash) and/or the Customer just wants a new card...

Craig

------------------
      P3-700E @933|128 PC100|Asus P2B Rev.1.10|G400 32Mb DH|PCI64
      1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

Fan works fine...reflashed the BIOS and even tried the recovery disk I made ages ago 'just in case'. No change. Bummer...

Comment

EW, have you tried going back to AGP 1x with the MTST305 utility from Matrox?
          Use it to go back to AGP 1x, then reflash your Matrox Bios.

It helped Holly's G400 Max, which we couldn't flash the Bios of at AGP 2x (Default setting).

She's back playing

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 25 November 2000).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Thanks Jord...it was worth a try, but after forcing 1x and reflashing...still no change. Looks like I call Matrox on Monday.

Comment

I have had the same problem lots of times! And the problem has allways been in the drivers! The fix? Remove the drivers and install them again!

------------------
              Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
              According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Sounded like it was worth a shot, Guru. But it didn't change anything. ***sigh**

Comment

If it realy is an "hardware" problem you can check it by lowering the "Graphics Hardware Acceleration"!

EDIT: BTW does it work in safe mode?
                  ------------------

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 26 November 2000).]
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

when you stop moving the window, does the "pepper" go away? If so, then your refresh rate is too high. User powerstrip or Matrox's utility to turn down the refresh.

Comment

I just had same problem.
                      No idea why it happens though, I haven't seen any video card behave that way...
                      Anyways, you have to use remove utility to uninstall drivers (which will remove PD options too - BTW I got question here on where it's stored).
                      Also, try playing with DRAM interleaving in BIOS.

------------------
                      • vanilla G400 DH 32 Mb PD5.20 w/o o/c
                      • Asus K7V w/sound bios 1007
                      • W2K Workstation, SP1
                      • RedHat 6.2
                      • Athlon 700 w/o o/c
                      • 256 Mb PC133 RAM
                      • IBM DPTA-372050 20Gb 7200Rpm
                      • TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1302
                      • Viewsonic PF790 flatscreen 19' & IBM G54 15'
                      • HP ScanJet 5200C still on parallel
                      • 3Com 3C905B-TX & LAN via T1 ;-)
                      • WebCam 3 USB
                      • Microsoft Intellimouse Optical USB connected
                      • Sony MDR-CD360 headphones
                      • MX300 in the drawer
                      Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Turning hardware acceleration off helps a lot, but does not eliminate the problem. In safe mode, the windows actually look pretty good (for safe mode, anyway).

Comment

If they look good lowering colordepth and resolution! If it works fine after that your G400's mem is broken!

------------------

Comment

during weekend my computer crashed 4 times both during 3d and 2d operations, and when restarted it was 640x480x4bit...
                            Now, i got what I have to do to fix it (if you just restart it again it doesn't help). Turn computer off, unplug cable (ATX case you know) and wait for a minute or so.
                            weird.
                            I bet it's some other hardware in my comp besides mb and g400...
                            Matrox Millenium P750 bios 1.3 - 12, P4 3Ghz HT 800Mhz, Asus P4P800 Deluxe, 1Gb DDR400 Dual Channel, Dual Seagate 80Gb S-ATA on Intel Raid level 0, Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-M1302, external Yamaha CD-RW CRW-F1DX on Firewire, Microsoft Natural Elite keyboard, Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, Viewsonic P90F, Viewsonic PF790

Comment

Originally posted by Guru:
                              If it realy is an "hardware" problem you can check it by lowering the "Graphics Hardware Acceleration"!

EDIT: BTW does it work in safe mode?
                              Lowering Hardware acceleration is a problem itself. Doing that can make games or other programs not work. If you have to lower acceleration to get it to work, you should get a replacement G400Max.

Comment

Working...
                              X