• Show
Clear All

• Multiple G400's or G450's in one box?

With only so many PCI slots and/or IRQ's
    in a system,
    I can usually only get 4 single
    video cards (for 4 monitors) in a Win98
    or Me machine,
    so, I started looking at the Martox multi-head cards.

The G200 duals and quads look great,
    and even state that you can use multiple cards in one machine,
    for up to 16 monitors,
    but they are a bit pricey at ~$600-$800 ea.

The G400 dual and G450's look great and have a great price,
    but nowhere on Matrox's site did I see anything about using multiple G400's or G450's.

Has anyone used more than one G450 at a time?
    I'd like to use 4 G450's, for 8 monitors at the same time,
    but I'd like to know if it'll work, first, before actually buying them.

------------------
    Who, me?

[This message has been edited by frankz (edited 26 November 2000).]
    Who, me?

well, its not mentioned becuase its not physically possiable. All G400 and G450 cards a AGP and all current AGP standards only alow for one AGP port per system. So you can only have one AGP card per system.

So, no, you can't have more than one G4xx card per system. But you COULD put a G450 in, then add PCI cards. So if you use a G450 and say 3 PCI vid cards you'd have 5 displays...

AGP 8x allows for multiple AGP ports (READ multiple AGP cards per system) but that is still some time away.

Comment

To my knowledge, neither the G400 or G450 come in PCI. If I'm wrong on this, that would be great, as I could get my mom a card to replace her Matrox Mystique. G450 16M Dual Head for under $90 looks like a great card for the non-gamer or non heavy gamer at least.

Aaron

Comment

I'm sure I heard somewhere about PCI G450's - I may well be wrong tho...

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

PCI information is in the drivers that include support for the 450.

It may be a good Idea to post this question on the official Matrox Forum, here.

You'll get a response typically within hours of your post.
          http://forum.matrox.com/cgi-bin/mgaf...ation&number=1
          Greebe's juiced up Athlon @750 on an MSI Irongate Based M/B Marvel G200 TV with HW/DVD Daughtercard,
          CDBurner, Creative DVD, two big WD Hdds, Outboard 56K modem
          Parallel Port Scanner, Creative S/B AWE 64 (ISA), and a new Logitech WebCam (My first USB device)

Comment

You did hear about them, but there's no news of an actual product.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Here, also, is a mention of a PCI G450: http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/c...00_vs_g450.cfm

------------------
              Who, me?
              Who, me?

Comment

What means in Matrox comparison chart that G450 supports MPEG 2 video software and G400 only MPEG 1 one??????
                ATHLON XP 2600; Abit KX7-333Raid; 1GB SDRAM DDR PC-3200 Corsair XMS; Matrox Parhelia AGP 256; HITACHI 7K250 250GB; HITACHI 120GXP 120GB; HITACHI 120GXP 60GB; Sound Blaster Audigy 2; Plextor DVDRW PX-716A; Plextor CDRW Premium

Comment

Working...
                X