Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is my G400max only able to run 1x AGP ??..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is my G400max only able to run 1x AGP ??..

I have a litle problem, please help
    At my old system (Asus P5a + K6-III 450mhz) my G400max crashed when i tried to run 2x AGP. After a year, i have changed my system to a Asus A7v with a Thunderbird @ 918mhz, and also at this sytem my G400max only will run 1x AGP. When i try to run 2x AGP, the system startup, but when i start a big videostream og a 3D game, the screen locked-up, with funny green flickering lines. The screen frezes the mouse pointer is the only whitch is move-able.
    I have also tried to run my G400max in a PIII system with another Asus board, but with same result !!!.. is there anything wrong whith my G400max ??

------------------
    Athlon Thunderbird@ 918mhz
    128 megs ram PC133
    Asus A7V
    G400MAX (not o/c)
    Eizo F55s
    PLexwriter + Ultraplex cd-drive!
    SCSI hd's...
    Athlon Thunderbird@ 918mhz
    128 megs ram PC133
    Asus A7V
    G400MAX (not o/c)
    Eizo F55s
    PLexwriter + Ultraplex cd-drive!
    SCSI hd's...

Which version of the drivers are you using?
    By the way you're not losing much running in agp x1 so I wouldn't worry about it to much.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

same here mate, wouldn't do it on a pII400/abit be6 & it still can't run agp 2x on an athlon 600@750/epox 7kxa kx133. not that we're missing an awful lot

Comment

I had my G400 32M DH running at on AGP 1X for the first couple months I had it, due to the installation of VIA latest 4-in-1 drivers having some sort of a bug and not installing the AGP driver correctly. Still, I didn't have complaints about the speed in games or anywhere else. I finally got it running in 4X (still completely stable), however, I cannot definitively say what the improvement was, if any, as at the same time I upgraded my G400 from PD6.04 to PD6.10. My 3D Mark 2000 scores improved from 5-10% across the board with these two changes. I didn't really notice it feeling any faster in 3D games, except 1600 x 1200 x 16 felt slightly smoother in NFS:HS.

Guess I could always force the card back down to 1X and rerun the benchmarks and games.

Cheers,

Aaron

<A HREF="http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/computer.html">My System!</A>

[This message has been edited by aaroncgi (edited 21 November 2000).]

Comment

To bad, i currently have an MAX on abit bx6 with celly300@450. I can't run agp2x stable now. Always thought it was my bx6 board, but i see it might be the g400 that don't likes agp2x.
          I'm going to upgrade in a few weeks to an PIII with i815 board, so i'm hoping it will do agp2x.
          PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

Usually instability in AGP2x is a result of either the MoBo producing too much bus noise (lack of filter to reduce it) or your AGP bus being clocked too high (OCed FSB or improper busdivider).

Especially old MoBos are plagued with that flaw, but if I remember correctly, there was a special procedure in installing all needed drivers and BIOS setups to follow, so that you could get it stable in AGP2x ... do a search in this forum and you'll find plenty of threads.

Cheers,
            Maggi
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
            Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
            be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
            4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
            2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
            OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
            4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
            Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
            Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
            LG BH10LS38
            LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I had a similar problem in that my MAX would only run at 1x. If I upped it to 2x, the system just crashed.

It turned out that the card just wasn't seated firmly. After I really forced into the slot, it ran at top speed without any problems at all.
              Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

I'm with Maggi. Kumse, do you have the same problems with AGP 2x when you're running your Front Side Bus at spec?

Sometimes AGP 1X is a good thing. When you're overclocking, and your AGP card can't handle the increased bus speed, the solution is often to *force* AGP 1X. The benefits of the overclock simply outweigh the benefits of AGP 2X.

If you experience the same issues at spec, we'll, I'd consider reseating your board and making sure it is properly aligned and all the way in the AGP slot.

Paul
                paulcs@flashcom.net

[This message has been edited by paulcs (edited 26 November 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                X