• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No G800 Till Next Summer.....

A bit more time to save up I suppose...

Vic
    ...Formerly Vic but my password doesnt work ;-(

And where did you hear this?

After reading comments on several web sites indicating that the G800 would be shown at Comdex, and then finding out this wasn't so, I just don't believe these kind of posts anymore unless someone from Matrox makes them.

-AJ

Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

ehm... I'll give Matrox a time until 5th of december. If they haven't announced anything before that, I have to jump next to the best company's cards. All In Wonder Radeon is going to be my choice, because it can do so many things. Also speed and price are very good reasons to get it.

MOST IMPORTANT REASON IS THAT IT IS MADE BY CANADIAN COMPANY!

gosh, I cannot even think about that I would plug my 21" inch HP P1110 ( Sony Flat Trinitron tube) Monitor to any NVidiot chipset cards. yak!

Anyway, it seems that ppl have to change something in their computer in every half a year... Maybe it is Matrox G800 in next summer for me.
      "Dippadai"

Comment

I agree waiting till next summer for their next card is too long. Already this card is showing it weakness esspecially in games like Diablo 2 where the frame rates go to crap when fighting many monsters. Not sure about Radion I heard a lot of driver problems from Radian. I read up on Nvidia and they seem to have a very decent product these days, but cost is like 300 bucks for a 64meg card. By next summer i'll most likely have cash to buy matrox again if it out beats what I buy this year.

Comment

Vic I agree, I need time to save up! and now (as a final year student at University) is not the time to go out buying new cards! I think we'll definately see something special when the card does finally arrive - CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
          What do you want a signature for?

Comment

I'm in the same boat Nappe1.

I put off buying a vid card this fall and wait to ask my wife to get me one for Christmas). So if I don't hear anything about Matrox soon, I'll probably go with a Radeon (since they've improved their 2D and driver quality). The V5 would be my second choice and the GF2s are a distant third (distant meaning I'm more likely to travel to Alpha Centauri first).

Word is that the RadeonII may be released before the year ends, if that winds up being true, I'll take an IOU for Christmas and wait a little bit longer.

This is a bummer, I've used the MillII, G200 and G400. At least I'll replace the MillII in my wife's machine with the G400, so it won't be a total goodbye.

-AJ
            Trying to figuring out what Matrox is up to is like tying to find a road that's not on the map, at night, while wearing welders googles!

Comment

Its just as well that I cant afford a new card for the next 3 months or more. I'm going to buy my nephews 2nd hand Geforce sdr for £50- unless anyoone knows where to buy a 32 meg ddr Radeon in the UK for less than £130.
              However I still think that a 2 year delay between new cards (g400-G800) is a bit lame. Hopefully it will be a beaut, especially if it retains that Matrox quality :-)

Oh well, I'm off to commiserate in a pub somewhere.

see yerz

------------------
              Interests include:
              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries
              Interests include:
              Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Well I actually just purchased the Radeon 64mb white box, retail box is over 300 bucks in most on-line stores. I researched the card and went to ati's website looks like they have made win2K driver fixes. If worse comes to worse I just resell the card on ebay if it sucks or lacks certain features. One thing it better have is the ability to set custom refresh rates for different resolutions. I think after having g400 for a year and half I've waited long enough

Comment

Hmm. That'll make it around 2 years sicne the G400MAX release if the G800 doesn't come out until the summer. Ouch.. hope thats not true. Its hard to believe that Matrox would have a product that late, since it would be well behind the performance curve by then (unless they are redesigning the chip and thats what is taking so long). Its kinda odd to see other companies with a 9 month card cycle, and then Matrox with a 2 year cycle. I'm just hoping for the best

In the meantime, I have my G400MAX heavily modded (heatsinks on memory, fansink behind graphics core etc) so I'm going to crank it up as much as it'll take.

Comment

Matrox doesn't have to get a 3D card out to gaming market sooner. You see their business cards or high end professional graphics cards that cost over 1000 bucks. You can imagine the amount of revenue matrox makes from the business side of things. I seriously doubt they are in need of cash

Comment

Unless they are trying to impliment EDRAM or the like. I can see a very long development time for getting a working, competitive, and inexpensive product when the technology is as new as EDRAM. In order to be able to afford a 2 year product release cycle, they must be pushing the limits of technology.

MadScott
                      Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

i guess the G800 will not have any of the specs we inicially thought (200 core 200mem, 3 pipes, w/ 3 texels per pipes) simple because WE HAVE THIS TODAY (Geforce ultra). although Matrox would never release something that costs $500-600 (CND or US, not sure) but no one will by a card that performs simialar to a card that was releast 5-6 months before (between now and March)

besides that ATI is kicking ass with the Radeon and soon Radeon ultra (rumor) and Radeon MAXX, and even worse Radeon 2. all of these cards will be releast by March if not sooner.

i hope Matrox knew about this when they started making the G800, but if they didn't i hope they are spending this time to re"furnish" the card to bring it up to speeds of similar cards out on the market, when the G800 is releast.

i hope that made sence

[This message has been edited by drzaius (edited 21 November 2000).]
                        no harm, no foul.

Comment

I agree with most of you, the Radeon is a much better card that the G-fart. After all the time waiting for the X-card I am considering a 64MB Radeon...But I would certainley buy a X-card if it was available today. I would buy it even if it was a tad slower than the competition, just because it´s a Matrox.

Comment

Matrox isn't being "lame" in terms of releasing a new vid card. Apparently a significant chunk of their engineering staff was lured away by Nvidia - hence the delay. They can't hardley be expected to be prepared for this kind of thing. I've seen projects get way behind when just one or two lead engineers walk, never mind most of the group!

Bottom line, this sucks for Matrox gaming fans

Like Novdid, Matrox doesn't have to be the fastest to get my money, they just make great cards. But the waiting has reached a point where I'm getting real tired of my G400s mediocre gaming performance (it a 16MB vanilla, serves me right I guess).

-AJ

Comment

Well I cancled my Radeon 64mb order. I found out there is no custom refresh rate support in win2K and we all knew how bad this sucked when we didn't have it for the G400 a while back. No way am I going thru that again. And ATI will never support it, I spoke to their tech support. So screw them.

Comment

Working...
                              X