sigh.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sigh.....

I don't know if I can wait this long. Actually, I know I won't be able to. I think I may end up buying another video card and see what Matrox's plans are later on down the road. Oh well, can't hang on for ever. I can't see myself buying an Nvidia based card. Maybe an ATI?.

Quoted from Anandtech:

So what are Matrox’s plans for the future? Unfortunately for you gamers out there, you can expect them to pull back considerably from the gaming market. In fact, their roadmap for the majority of 2001 features products based on the G450, G400 and even the G200 cores, all of which are targeted at home/office, corporate, and professional users, not gamers.

Over the next few months Matrox will be promoting the G450 quite a bit as it will rise to become their flagship product, thus putting Matrox in a position to compete in the corporate market once again. Unfortunately, with ATI and NVIDIA both releasing solutions that rival the G450’s DualHead support while trampling it in 3D performance, you’ll begin to wonder if Matrox can even stay in the market for much longer.

While there’s definitely a desire to know about Matrox’s G800 that you’ve all definitely heard rumors about, there’s very little that we’re allowed to tell you. But when looking at the release of DX8 parts next year, you can expect the most heated competition to be between 3dfx, ATI and NVIDIA. It doesn’t seem like we can expect to see much in terms of gaming performance from Matrox for quite a while.

According to Matrox, they don’t plan on leaving the gaming market behind, but for now they will be focusing on the G450, only to later come back with a more gaming oriented product. By that time, it may be too late for Matrox, as the market is becoming increasingly more competitive and it will be very hard for Matrox to bounce back. It doesn’t seem as if Matrox has much of a choice right now, so don’t expect to see a lot from them that will be focused on the gaming market.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Maybe we should retitle this thread, how many rats are going to jump ship in the months ahead? I'm very dissapointed in whats going on with Matrox. I've read trobleling signs with Matrox losing a large amount of there engineers to Nvidia over the last couple months (How true is this? I know theres a lawsite but how many people left?) and there lastest product is just a warmed over G400, basicly a cheaper one...not much of an improvement in a years time frame. If they can display the G800 at GDC and then get out to market with in a month or so that would be much in their favor but I doubt that is gonna happen. I know they are a privately held company but if they just chug along at this pace they are gonna be dead this time next year. It would be nice just to have an offical annosoment saying hey we have a next gen Video card that we will display at GDC and we'll have it out on the market with in 90 days after that.

Only thing that helps me deal with this is that I'm planning on getting a new system before the summer of next year. between waiting for the G800 and an Abit or Asus 760 DDR chipset with RAID on board I'm not gonna worry about buying anything! I guess I might start taking a look at a 3Dfx product or an ATi Board...I've had experance with both of them and they aren't nearly as bad as what I've had with the Nvidiva boards.....

Scott

------------------
    Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I suppose they's get flamed for leaving and that get flamed for coming back.
      The heck a little charco has hurt nobody including myself.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I can honestly say that Anandtech doesn't know jack.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I agree Joel!

Comment

Well, you know, it's not like anandtech has anything to lie about. What would be point? Ratings? web clicks? Anyway, I'm not here to debate whether or not anand is lying, I'm just tired of waiting, that's all. Nothing wrong with that.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I didn't say he was lying it's just that he is totally misinformed.

Joel
              Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
              Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Well Dave how else would Anand know lots of nothing to post about Matrox? He doesn't know jack and may have done this to get the real responce he was looking for... it's an interesting way of getting a responce so he could possibly be the one that officially post real info on what is going on. I'd think you will see some kind of additional info posted by him shortly. Whether that be a retraction or an update I don't know, but it will be interesting none the less.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well well, the beta boys speak up a tad First off, I think Anand is probably one of the most highly regarded sights by many. He is one of the few people that actually shows respect and goes out of his way to try and let you know that he is respectful. I have not heard anything in the past that leads me to believe that he is "mis-informed" and I have no reasons to believe that now. Am retraction? I'd have to see it to beleive it since he would have to be way off base.

After reading everything I have read, if Matrox anounces a product before Feb/March I will be amazed. IF they actually follow up after that with a product within a month I'll be more amazed. Bottom line is, what am I supposed to do? Hang on to high hopes and raunchy rumours? Wait until the bitter end until I hate waiting? Greebe, Joel, I hope you guys are right about your lead-ins, because I'd hate to see one less competitor out there.

Dave

Comment

Dave,
                    Anand often talks out of his ass. He's just good at making unfounded rumors sound good. Actually, he's also good at botching benchmarks, and reviews. He's often forgotten to follow manufacturers' instructions on set up, or used the wrong drivers. He has a pretty site, so the populous likes him, but he doesn't really know what's going on.
                    Anything beyond that, and my little Beta mouth has to be kept shut.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                    X