Thoughts on overclocking a G400 DualHead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on overclocking a G400 DualHead

Okay, I'm making the bold decision to stick with my G400 until we hear something definite on the next chip (don't say G800. ) but have been thinking for the past couple of months that I might try overclocking my G400 in the meantime.

A little while ago I mounted a really old Socket 7 processor fan on the heatsink (I used to have the same fan on my 8Mb TNT) and tried to up the speed a bit, but couldn't go very far with it. I can't remember what figure I reached, but it didn't seem to change my Q3 timedemo scores by any considerable amount.

The fan I'm using may not be the greatest, though - I've noticed it's not spinning too freely anymore - so it may have been cooling that was limiting my efforts.

However, I was just wondering if all G400's have identical memory chips, or if the MAX's have higher-rated chips. I have a feeling I read this when they first came out, but can't remember it right now.

If the vanilla's do have slower ram, what's it rated at, and what can I expect to stretch it to?

Any help would be appreciated, as I think my Athlon gets bored between frames in quake3 sometimes.

Cerb

PS I'm not looking at breaking any Mhz records - I just want to squeeze a little more out of it.
    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

The vanillas memory are clocked at 166MHz. It depends on every chip how far they can go.

The MAX´s memory is 5ns chips wich means 200MHz. If you want some better cooling buy one of those Blueorbs.

Comment

have a look at this recent thread regarding G400 chip cooling http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum5/HTML/009842.html

Comment

Hi cerb,

follow ayoub_ibrahim's link and do a search in this forum ...

You'll find plenty of hints, techniques etc.

Btw, my Vanilla runs for more than a year at 150/200MHz core/mem ... (= MAX clock speeds)

Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

Working...
        X