The dark side..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dark side..............

Well, after being w/o a TV in my room for 2 months I finally caved and bought an AIW Radeon! Damn, Matrox sure has spoiled me because I sure know high quality when I'm not looking at it. Speed is good though, but not a night and day difference. Watching TV on my 19" moniter is decent enough until I get a HDTV next April or whenever I get my tax refund.

Point. Matrox will get more of my money as soon as I see a similar "AIW" like card with this type of speed!

Come G800.......Come Quickly!

WMTJ
    http://www.skynary.com/winstonco1
    Not all will capitolize on the webs greatest opportunity!Only the few with a vision!

You know you could have bought a cheap Haupage TV tuner card!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I know but I wanted to enjoy my 19" monitor w/ games. Besides, I was getting sick of all the hoopla I've been hearing about frame rates! Well they are not King! I've learned one hell of a lesson!

I will have to give it as much of a chance as I did my faithfull G400. Some tweaking and what not and then I'll see if Radeons are what they're cracked up to be.

WMTJ
      http://www.skynary.com/winstonco1
      Not all will capitolize on the webs greatest opportunity!Only the few with a vision!

Comment

Perhaps it's not the video card, perhaps you need a cpu upgrade.

Comment

@Guru

1 video card + 1 haupage + 1 video compression card = 3 PCI slots gone

PC

------------------
          Webmaster of 8Dimensional
          daily news, hype-news and graphics card opinions
          review listings for: Radeon, G450, GeForce2 GTS, Voodoo5 and many more....
          daily computer hardware news, hype-news and video card recommendations
          review listings for: Radeon, KYRO, GeForce2 GTS, Voodoo5 and many more....

Comment

quoted from PC001 : "1 video card + 1 haupage + 1 video compression card = 3 PCI slots gone"
            does this mean you have a pci G400?

Comment

pc001,

does USB sound familiar to you?

Comment

The Raedons/All-In-Wonders do hardware compression? Right.....

"And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

- AGP is nothing than a better PCI
                  - USB...for video ?
                  - the AIW supports realtime video compression

PC

------------------

Comment

Hmm, I can do full PAL resolution captures (768x576x32@25fps) with realtime compression of the video using the PicVideo software MJPEG codec and simultaneous MP3 compression for the audio on my Hauppauge WinTV - so why would I need HW compression?
                    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                    My System
                    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                    German ATI-forum

Comment

Matrox came to the same conclusion with their latest TV card. Now a couple vendors are about to ship HDTV decoding and capture.
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

the AIW does SOFTWARE video compression. read any review of the cards. look at the specs. does it say anywhere that it does hardware compression? NO!

Also, AGP is an 'expanded' pci, but you cannot use an AGP card in a PCI slot. thus PCI != AGP.

And yes, you can do USB video capture/tv tuning/etc. i wouldn't, but i'm picky.
                        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Sorry PC, but AGP is a good bit more than PCI, especially if you're using Matrox products (DiME).
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

- PCI/AGP...there was a smily
                            - USB has a little bandwidth problem at full res. 32bit
                            - MJEPG ? ...if video at all then MPEG 2
                            - hmmm....software compression...yes, but MPEG 2 - decompression in hw

PC

------------------

Comment

Didn't say usb was good, but you can and it works fairly well.

MJPEG works fairly well and is not overly processor intensive...

And saying that the Raedon has hardware DVD decoding is like saying that integrated audio on motherboards is up to spec with a $70 sound card. it is hardware assisted, same as all the other video cards on the market, but is still not a hardware DVD decode. Acctually, it is slight better than most video cards on the market, but it is still not a hardware DVD decoder, nor does it compare to one.

I still don't know what the big deal about MPEG2 encoding is. its not like you can take your MPEG2 video, burn it to a DVD-RW and play it in a DVD player. There are other things that have to happen for you to be able to do that. things that cost enough money that i doubt we will be seeing it on the home market. Big thanks go to the DVD consortium for ensuring that you cannot make your own DVD cheaply and easily.

Makes MJPEG look pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X