Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question to those of you using Win2k... Need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to those of you using Win2k... Need help!

I'm not sure if my problem is related to the G400 or not (so this may or may not be OT). I can't get my hard drives to power down after the machine is sitting idle. I'm trying to find out if other murcers are having this problem, so I can either identify or elminate the G400 a the item that is causing this.

This is a fresh install of Win2k, so there aren't many things running on it. I'm new to Win2k, so I'm not too familiar with the various processes that are running automatically when windows boots, but one of the ones I do recognize is powerdesk. I'm trying to elminitate each of the items that could be causing power management of the HDs not to work. This is acting as my server, which runs 24hrs/day, but there could be periods of several days where data on the disks is not accessed, which is why I want to power management to work.

My system is a CII 600@900 on an intel MP440BX motherboard with an MSI 6905 slot1 adapter, 320MB ram, a Maxtor 7.5G 7200 rpm HD as the boot drive with the OS & progs, & two WD 45G 5400rpm drives on a promise Ultra66 converted to a Fasttrak66 for Raid0 (striping), used as a shared network data drive. All drives using NTFS. I also have two NICs (it's also acting as a router with windows ICS), one Intel pro 100+, and one dlink dfe530tx+. The only other item (besides the G400) is a generic pci soundcard (I installed this last, and had the problem before I installed it).

After I installed win2k over win98 (but as a fresh install, not as an upgrade), I was trying to get the power down to work, and set the idel time for power down to 3 minutes. The raid drives would power down, but a minute or less afterwards they would spin back up as if something was trying to access them. I never saw the Maxtor power down. I fdisked the whole system & did a fresh NTFS format, & re-installed win2k (& service pack 1 & all updates except IE5.5). Now I can't even get the raid drives to power down. I read that the earlier versions of Promises fasttrack drivers didn't support power down, but that was supposed to be resolved with the newer drivers (all the drivers for everything I have is the newest I can find). Something appears to be accessing these drives & keeping them open. My MB appears to be ACPI complient, because Win2k installs allthe ACPI stuff, and I can even have the hibernate option. If I set the machine to go to standby after 1 minute, that works as long as no network computers are logged on to the drives on the server, but I don't want the whole server to go into standby, just the HD's. They won't power down even regardless of the status of networked computers, or anything else I try. Something on the server appears to be keeping my drives open. Is it powerdesk? Anyone here using HD spindown on Win2k successfully with a G400?

Sorry for the long and potentially OT post, and thanks for any input!

Well theres dumb things like indexing services. You can disable that. Microsoft fast find could be another culprit. A virus checker could be another.
    It would also be worth getting the task manager up and seeing what processors are running. Cpu idle process should around 99% if it isn't have a look at the other processors and what applications are running.
    Another service is mgabgexe which makes a backup of the matrox bios I think although I maybe wrong.
    To be honest I ain't being much help on this as I don't use the power saving.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! By the indexing services, do you mean the function that makes an image of all the files that helps you search for files faster? If so, I do have than enabled. I'll try disabling that (I'm not at home now). I had hoped that that would only need to update itself every time a file was written, but who knows. I'm just not familiar enough with the various running processes to start shutting them down without knowing what they are doing.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
      X