Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So... How is DirectX 8? Any funny problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... How is DirectX 8? Any funny problems?

I want to get it, but I don't want to mess up my system if it doesn't like my G400... you know? Anyone out there brave enough to get it? How is it?
    McRhea

Hello Dude

I installed DX-8 yesterday on my machine, G400 like yourself and it hasn't done any harm yet. I can't say that I have noticed any difference but I certainly haven't noticed any decreases.

Upto you if you give it a go.

Dean
    Athlon 1Ghz [Arghh]
    Abit KT7A [Arghh] [Arghh]
    512 MB Ram
    Kyro 4500 [Arghh]

Comment

Works fine with my G400 max (w98) and G200 (w2k)! But I have to admit I have not tryed anything else than 3dmark 2000 on the comps.!

------------------
      Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Hmmm... I guess I'll have to try DX8 out once I get back from Las Vegas! I leave in 1 hour! 1 week in Las Vegas, and then Thanksgiving! WHOOO HOOOO!

Have a good one guys!
        McRhea

Comment

You'll get absolutely no gains under Win98, but it shouldn't hurt anything, either.

Under Win2k it fixes some serious bugs, boosting your Direct3D speed by about 25%.

It also enables hardware acceleration (hardware sound buffers) on the SB Live! cards under Win2k.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

When we will see some DX8 optimised drivers, then we might see some speed increases
            Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

oh comon,the g400 and the driver have been optimised as much as possible by now.
              'tis not a magic hat.
              bruce c. sucks

Comment

You never know. Bumpmapping might see an increase in speed.... mabye.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Installed DX8 and the new PD yesterday. Today I noticed that something happened to UT's framerate. Before it was something around 40 most of the time, and almost never went under that.

Not it is much more jumpy. Most of the time it is at 80, but there are really short drops (1 frame, maybe) all the time. I don't like that. Also there are longer drops, where framerate might even go down to 19, but these don't last long either (maybe 0.5s). Weird thing is that this slowdown doesn't happen when there is a lot of new textures/geometry, but seems to happen randomly.

Well, actually I'm not even sure if this was caused by UT 432 update or PD, or DX ..

------------------

Comment

Not sure if this makes a difference but UT 436 came out alomst imediately after DX8's leaked release... not sure if it's a coincidence or they made some fixes...

I'm waiting on DX8 until I see more users have no problems... side affects usually take time to bare their ugly heads...

Craig

------------------
                    P3-700E @933|128 PC100|Asus P2B Rev.1.10|G400 32Mb DH|PCI64
                    1.3 Taulatin @1600 - Watercooled, DangerDen waterblock, Enhiem 1046 pump, 8x6x2 HeaterCore Radiator - Asus TUSL2C - 256 MB Corsair PC150 - G400 DH 32b SGR - IBM 20Gb 75GXP HDD - InWin A500

Comment

I think I have discoverd that the newsest G400 drivers for 98 don't like DX8. I installed them both when they came out and suddenly the properties box in Dreamweaver becomes a complete mess. I have now reverted back to 6.04 with DX-8 and everything is fine again.
                      Athlon 1Ghz [Arghh]
                      Abit KT7A [Arghh] [Arghh]
                      512 MB Ram
                      Kyro 4500 [Arghh]

Comment

Dosfreak, keep on dreaming
                        As for me I feel like moving on to something new. hmmm... Gxxx anyone?
                        bruce c. sucks

Comment

Dosfreak,

Just a silly question.......are you a member of Arstechnica too with the same name?
                          Athlon Thunderbird 1.1Ghz@1.2~1.3+GHz Socket A 256Kb,Asus A7V dipswitches,GlobalWin FOP32-1 heatsink,GlobalWin 802 Advance ATX Case, 17" Sony Multiscan 200PST,384MB Crucial PC133 CAS=2,ATI Radeon 32Mb DDR,(Matrox Millenium G400 MAX 32MB 5ns SGRAM),IBM Deskstar 75GXP 15Gb UltraATA/100, Quantum Firebal EL 10.2Gb,Hewlett Packard DeskJet 970Cxi,Epson Perfection 1240U Scanner,Sound blaster Live!,Cambridge Soundworks 5.1,Creative PC-DVD 5X,CDR-RW Ricoh MP7040S@MP7060S(Tweaked from 4x--->6x with no problem),Adaptec SCSI 2920C,Diamond SupraExpress 56e PRO,Iomega Zip Drive.

Comment

Pace, shouldn't that be the other way round??

Comment

I think DosFreak is on every forum out there, with Guru a close 2nd

Paul.
                              Meet Jasmine.
                              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Working...
                              X