KT7 Raid and G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KT7 Raid and G400

I have an ABIT KT7 Raid motherboard and a Matrox G400 Dual Head 32MB. For some reason I can't get the card to consistantly boot in my motherboard. I have no problems what so ever to get the POS generic 8mb agp to boot. The G400 won't boot for me at all now. I have tried taking it out, putting it back in over and over. Something else is going on here. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. This is the first computer I have ever built, and this is the only problem I am having with it so far.

Thanks for your time.

Sounds to me like you haven't installed the VIA 4n1 patch yet.
    Also make sure the drivers for the other card are completely removed prior to installing the G400.

Post up your hardware configuration and IRQ's.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Where do you get these 4in1 drivers? I don't see them on the abit site. Would drivers have anything to do with the bios, because the whole problem is that I can't boot with the matrox card. I mean, it will boot, but it gives me a long beep, and then two short ones, and the monitor doesn't recieve anything from the card.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Make sure that your G400 is fully seated in the AGP slot. People where having problems with the G400 when they first came out because the card wasn't fully seated. Some times when you tighten down the screw that holds the card in place that some times pulls the car out of the slot. You might need to play with the metal portion and bend it slightly to get a good fit. Also double check how your motherboard is mounted. I've run into problems depeding on the case manufacture where the board would slighty shift from back of the case and you run the same problem with the card no being seated properly in a PCI slot etc.

Hope this helps

Scott

------------------
        Abit BH6 with a Celeron 2-566@877mhz,256mb RAM,G400 MAX,SB Live!, Optiquest V95 19in montor, Asus 40x CD-ROM, Aopen 5x DVD-ROM,HP9110i 8x4x32 CD-RW,SupraMax 56k modem,WinME on Western Digital 30GB drive
        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

oh yeah your Via 4in1 drivers should be on the Abit CD that came with your motherboard

Scott
          Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The Abit KT7 is my new pet-board for customer systems...I love it! However, I DO NOT recommend loading the whole 4n1 shebang. Load up the AGP GART driver and call it a day. http://www.viatech.com/drivers/index.htm

Comment

If you want a good resource for troubleshooting the KT7 Raid, try this: http://www.apushardware.com/faqs/kt7faq/kt7faq.htm
              I've just upgraded to one of these boards from an ASUS P2B and I'm really impressed with the stability I've had from it so far.

Comment

Can I get someone to confirm this, but all of thoes drivers (4in1) don't even deal with the bios correct??? Here is what I have my problem narrowed down to. The system *ACTUALLY BOOTS* but it won't accept the video card. The hard drive acts as if it is booting up, thats why I say this. The video card is not accepted right away, and instead of getting the standard single short beep, I get the long beep followed by two short ones. I am using the latest BIOS for the KT7 Raid.

Thanks for your time, your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

That beep sequence means that there is a bad video device. It could be as simple as it not being seated very well. Make sure that the card is fully inserted into the AGP slot and that the case is not doing anything to prevent it from being inserted all the way.

This has nothing to do with the 4-in-1 drivers.

(I have a Abit KT7 (no raid) with G400 dual head 32MB.)

Comment

I have an Abit KT7 no RAID and G400 32 MB DH no real problems. I installed 4in1v25a all of it. Now running WinMe without a hitch. I have posted about having problems with winme. They apparently were caused by the win98 drivers for the live!5.1 as when I removed Me the problems I had did not fully go away. Anyway, your problem is that the video card is not being seated properly, and it is very easy to do this. If you are sure the card is seated properly, then stick it in another machine and see if it boots. If it does then you need to seat it properly in the KT7. If it doesn't start seeking RMA
                    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Hello, thanks for your help once again. From reading the last post, it sounds as if by suggesting RMA, that you are saying the agp slot might be bad. I just picked up a temporary solution today, which is a Creative Geforce MX 2, and it works fine, not one problem. (NO I am not a NVida supporter, I just needed something as a test. I will be returning the Nvidia card because the G400 is a great card) Does this mean that the matrox card is not seated right still? That seems awfully strange to me. Why I seem to want to believe that it is just not seated right is because I have gotten it to boot a few times, but then after I restart, it usually will be completly dead again. Once again, I thank all of you very much. You are making my first attempt at building a computer much easier.

Thank you.

Comment

It is a lot quicker and easier to massage the seating than to get any hardware RMA'd. Try first things first.

The fundamental design of the AGP slot is flawed. It has two levels of gold fingers, yet they decide to push the slot further away from the retention location than both the ISA and PCI cards. It is very easy to have a little bit of angle in the seating of the card, which could cause misalignment of the gold fingers. With the gold fingers misaligned, you might have some misconnected with the slot, or you might even have some of them shorted together in the slot; all around bad news.

It may be that that G400 is flakey if you are having good success using other video cards. Do you (or one of you local buddies) have another G400 that you could try?

Comment

Are you sure your G400 is not defective (i.e. have you tried it in a friends computer)?
                          I had the same problem with my first G400. it just wouldn't show anything on the screen, not even post. I got a replacement at the store where I bought the G400 and this one is working perfectly till now - meanwhile in the third mobo, an Abit KT7-RAID, simply a great board.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Hi,
                            I also have a KT7 (non raid) and a G400max. I'm having performance issues. Meaning that any OpenGL based program will be just too slow. i.e Q3 is running @ 40fps in normal mode, Homeworld doesn't start and screensavers just sucks.

My system is:
                            Abit KT7 (latest bios and 4in1)
                            G400max (PD 6.10 and latest bios)
                            Duron 650
                            128Mo
                            IBM 7200rpm 20.5Go
                            Sound Blaster Live running WinMe drivers
                            no shared IRQ
                            no conflict
                            I have tried on another system with the same configuration and got the same results.

I've seen that some of you had the same mobo, how is it running for you ? Do you have any idea what my pb could be ?
                            System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Working...
                            X