forcing AGPx2 on G400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• forcing AGPx2 on G400

I have a G200 which automatically sets AGPx2, when I switch cards, the G400 only sets AGPx1
    Can I force the change
    PS I use OS2 not windoze, so MTSTU300 is out of the question
    TIA

Originally posted by brittonmt:

PS I use OS2 not windoze
    Ouch I feel sorry for you!

Sorry could not resist!
    BTW: conrats for your first post!

------------------
    Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

Don't get even — get odd!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

no need,
      todate best uptime without crash = 7m 18d 2hrs....

Comment

Nice! I'm sad to say I don't know the answer to your prob! Just keep bumping the post up on the list until someone replies!

------------------

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Thanks for the reply,
          When you say bump up, what do you mean, how is it done....

TIA
          Britt

Comment

you did it right there...

Now I do it...

Comment

ahh ha...

thanks for the help

Britt

Comment

^UP^

No I did it!

------------------

Comment

You should post OS/2 issues in the Alternative Lifestyles forum. Unfortunately, there isn't much traffic there. I used Warp at home for many years but switched over to Win98 about 18 months ago. Switched from Netscape to IE too because I had to visit MSFT development sites. "Resistance is futile".
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It's not an OS2 issue.
                    The AGPx2 is tested on boot by the Matrox BIOS, and that is what is failing...

Britt

Comment

brittonmt, sorry, I don't know much about OS/2, but isn't it a Win95 alike environment as well? Do you have something like a device manager in there as well? If so, try going into the device manager and delete the G200 entry.

In Win9x you have to go in in Safe mode to accomplish this. Is there something like that in OS/2?

Moreover, did/does OS/2 support AGP2x for newer videocards without updates?
                      Or does your motherboard?

I guess you're using the os2_231.zip drivers??

Give us some more info on your system, and maybe we can help you

Jord
                      Jord.
                      Jordâ„¢

Comment

This is an OS independant problem.
                        When the boot process is underway, the Matrox BIOS reads/writes to itself to determine x1x2x4, the G200 sets itself as x2, on the same MB the G400 sets itself to x1.
                        You can use progbios to read/write to the registers in the BIOS, what I need to know is if it is possible to set the Matrox BIOS to always using x2

TIA
                        Britt

Comment

It's not the BIOS that's doing it, it's the drivers.
                          Unfortunatly, I know nothing about O/S2 (you are one of only 2 or 3 people I've seen on this forum in several years running that OS).

In Windows, the drivers (both G200 and G4x0) perform a write/read test to the graphics card. If what is read matches the same as what is written, the drivers will run in 2x (or 4x) mode. If there are errors in what is read vs what was written, it will drop to 1x mode. Changes to the windows registry (via reg hacks or MTS tweak util) can force 2x mode.
                          I would imagine something similar happens in O/S2 with the drivers doing a w/r test, but I wouldn't have a clue of where to look to find O/S2's equivalent of a registry, or what keys to look for to force 2x.

Just be aware that 1x vs. 2x AGP mode means next to nothing. What you are trying to do will probably make no difference in how the card performs. Very few games/softwares today use AGP tranfers, much less enough to fully utilize 1x and need 2x transfers to make any performance difference. 4x is even more useless. It's all market hype.
                          Many people force their Gxx0's to run in 1x mode for stability reasons, and most see no difference at all in real performance.
                          Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Hi Kruzln,

many thanks for a response I can use...
                            sorry about the read/write misunderstanding
                            Very happy to stay at 1x... Particularly as stability is what I desire
                            Strange that no driver or hardware change between the G200 and the G400 still produced the x1 x2 difference, but there you are, the wonderful world of computers...

Again many Thanks

Britt

Comment

Working...
                            X