Dual Head Resolution : G400 Max vs. G450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Head Resolution : G400 Max vs. G450

I am actually using a G400MAX with 2 x 19" monitors.

It is still unclear to me if, by upgrading to a G450 32MB dual head, I could get a bigger desktop size (i.e., bigger resolution in dual head mode).

Please forgive if this is a silly question, but I have yet to find a CLEAR answer to this matter.

Valerio

Valo,

the clearest way that i can put it is that "in multi-display, you are limited by the least capable monitor". that should hold true for the g450 also. since i don't own one i'm just guessing.

my secondary display has a max resolution of 1280 x 1024, but my primary can go to 1600 x 1280. so i end up with a combined resolution of 2560 x 1024.

hope this helps

cc

Comment

G450 has integrated RAMDAC for the 2nd head rather than the discrete RAMDAC that G400 has from MGA-TVO chip. G400 2nd head maxed out in 1280x1024 60Hz while for G450 the 2nd head can go as high as the 1st head.

You'll get larger combined desktop space with G450 than G400 for sure, as long as your monitors are capable of.

Check out the specs of G450 from Matrox website http://www.matrox.com/

KJ Liew

Comment

Originally posted by kjliew:
        [...]G400 2nd head maxed out in 1280x1024 60Hz[...]
        i have to correct you:

2nd display of an G400MAX goes up to 75Hz at 1280x1024, not 60Hz
        my system:

AMD XP 2000+
        Abit KTA7 (VIA 4.49)
        512MB SDRAM133
        Matrox Millennium G400 MAX (5.91, AGP 2x)
        Windows XP Prof

Comment

woah... so, G450 actually has some plusses over the G400 max???

Comment

Is the extra 50 bucks worth it to get the G400 max over the G450? I'll be running dual displays, mostly photoshop and some cad stuff with the occassional gaming... not much though... (Win98SE)

Comment

dcdomain,

YES!!!!

IMHO

cc

Comment

With the G450 I'm able to do 3200x1200 (when it's enabled
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

"in multi-display, you are limited by the least capable monitor" - this is not true under Win9x. Unlike in NT/2k, you may set different resolutions and refresh rates under 9x/ME.

Also, G450 is much better than G400 on its second "head". And overclocked seems to be better on the first one too...

Comment

Working...
                  X