Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have G450, but it crashes Ulead Media Studio...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have G450, but it crashes Ulead Media Studio...

I have the G450. It's nice but it crashes Ulead Media Studio Pro 6 as it tries to load.

Someone just wrote me that Media Studio Pro 6 has incompatibilities with DVD decoders. Seeing that the G450 brags about having "high-quality DVD / video playback," I'm curious:

How do I best disable all DVD support on the G450?

------------------
    Hugo
    http://hugomartinez.com
    Hugo

I don't know, but have you asked at the desktop video forum? Plus, ask at the Matrox forum as not too many of us here have a G450 yet!

In trying to help - how is it crashing? And how do you know it's the G450?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I would have asked at the desktop video forum, but its description "Video editing with the Rainbow Runner and Marvel G200 hardware" rules me out. I use a Pyro 1394 OHCI card along with MSP6 and... well... trying to use the G450.

Media Studio Pro 6 ran flawlessly using two ATI cards (an ATI Expert 128 AGP and an ATI Expert 98 PCI). I also ran MSP6 briefly with an old and buggy STB card without problems. All I modified on my system was the exchange of the two ATI cards for the one G450. That alone broke MSP6 (specifically, its main module -- Video Editor). Interestingly, everything else still works rock-solid. What is needed is for Matrox and Ulead to speak to each other.

In case it helps, here is part of something I posted to rec.video.desktop:

--------------------------------------------
      I am getting this error consistently running Media Studio Pro 6's video editor with the new Matrox G450 video card -- with and without the latest patches and drivers:

<snip>---

VEDITOR caused an invalid page fault in
      module KERNEL32.DLL at 0187:bff9db61.
      Registers:
      EAX=c001de98 CS=0187 EIP=bff9db61 EFLGS=00210216
      EBX=00000000 SS=018f ESP=00d4feb8 EBP=00d50154
      ECX=00000000 DS=018f ESI=00f70f70 FS=110f
      EDX=7803b630 ES=018f EDI=00582298 GS=0000
      Bytes at CS:EIP:
      53 8b 15 e4 9c fc bf 56 89 4d e4 57 89 4d dc 89
      Stack dump:

<snip>---

Media Studio will not finish loading. It always crashes just as it starts to initialize DirectX audio filters.

I have spent many hours trying many kinds of system, software and hardware configurations. The error never changes.

Otherwise, the Matrox G450 passes my diagnostics and seems to work flawlessly except for this one showstopping glitch. I have contacted Matrox tech support: JBalanca@Matrox.com and this problem's reference number is 69705. I have also contacted Ulead: sam@ulead.com.

My computer is:

Celeron II 600 @ 900 MHz
      Abit BH6 motherboard with the latest bios
      USB disabled at both bios and OS
      256 megs of ram
      4 Maxtor UDMA drives
      Adaptec 2940 SCSI adapter
      Ricoh MP 6200S CD-RW SCSI burner
      Yamaha DSP Factory sound card
      Pyro 1394 card
      Linksys PCI network card
      1 serial port
      1 parallel port
      Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 100e 21" monitor
      Hitachi Elite 751 19" monitor

Though the G450 shares IRQ 10 with the Adaptec 2940, removing the Adaptec improves nothing. The computer crashed exactly as before even as the G450 kept an IRQ all to itself.

I have tested without overclocking. No difference -- same exact crashes.
      Hugo

Comment

Did you re-install Media Studio after you upgraded your video card ?

Maybe it searches for your old card ...
        Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
        Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
        be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
        4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
        2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
        OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
        Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

If you're going to re-install ulead, make sure ulead32.ini is deleted along with all contents from your temp directory.

Did you remove the drivers from your previous card also from your registry?

Haig

Comment

I thank everyone here and elsewhere for trying to help me. GOOD NEWS: there is a workaround.

It wasn't easy. I assumed Matrox and Ulead would work together and maybe even try to duplicate my setup, as a resolution would help them both -- as well as end users. As far as I can tell, that never happened. Instead, they pointed fingers at each other and then at me, blaming my system and saying that there was nothing they could do. In particular, Matrox wrote canned responses that made me suspect that my email was not being thoroughly read/understood and that I was getting low priority.

Finally, I again phoned Ulead tech support. I refused to silently accept Sam's statement that my email had been "forwarded" and that there was nothing left to do. I was soon transfered to Ronald, Sam's "supervisor." Eventually -- and I don't know if he had a divine inspiration or if he knew all along -- Ronald gave me a workaround.

HERE IS THE WORKAROUND:

In the \Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.0\Dxaudio folder, there are two files:

AudioDF.ax

AudioSF.ax

Rename either one or both.

Media Studio will now ignore DX plugins.

In my system, MSP6 now loads faster and without crashing.
            Hugo

Comment

Boy, those Matrox Tech Support folks are never around when you need them.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

The nerve of them

Hugo - Instead, they pointed fingers at each other and then at me, ...

I would be interested as to what my guys told you which made you feel that we were blaming ulead and also yourself for being the problem.

As you can see by the solution, you have a dx audio problem with Ulead, not Matrox.

Regards

Haig

Comment

Since Hugo is a mini with only 3 posts, he probably doesn't realise who Haig is...

Hugo- Haig is the head of North American Tech Support for Matrox. If you have issues with what TS told you, now is your chance to let the boss know whats wrong....
                  Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

>I would be interested as to what my
                    >guys told you which made you feel that
                    >we were blaming ulead and also yourself
                    >for being the problem.

The usual system trouble-shooting stuff, ignoring that *everything* works except Media Studio's video editor module, other than to say that Media Studio is not supported.

>As you can see by the solution, you
                    >have a dx audio problem with Ulead,
                    >not Matrox.

Ah! You illustrate my point. A classic example of finger pointing. Before you think I'm being unreasonable, think of this: if Ulead was *solely* responsible, then why was Media Studio compatible with all my DX plugins prior to the installation of the G450? I did not install new DirectX audio plugins. I installed a G450. Did the G450 driver installation also install DirectX audio plugins? And/or, (see my first post) did the G450 install a DVD decoder that Media Studio can't cope with? If that is the case, then please instruct me on how to disable the DVD decoder and/or rogue DX audio plugin or whatever (currently, I have no use for DVD). If you can't, then maybe develop a driver or tweak utility that would allow disabling G450 DVD support and such.

As I see it, both Ulead and Matrox are responsible because:

1. Media Studio 6 obviously needs more robust DX audio plugin support.

2. It was solely the intro of the G450 that broke Media Studio 6.

Ulead and Matrox may need to work together.

Ronald, a Ulead tech support "supervisor," says he is willing to speak with someone from Matrox. He can be reached at 310-523-9391.

[This message has been edited by Hugo (edited 13 October 2000).]
                    Hugo

Comment

Did the G450 driver installation also install DirectX audio plugins?

No our display drivers do not install DX audio plugins.

And/or, (see my first post) did the G450 install a DVD decoder that Media Studio can't cope with?

Not by default. The Ravisent player is in there but you have to run its setup. Even if this was done by you, Ravisent does not install any audio dx plugins. If you didn't run the Ravisent setup, then there is nothing to uninstall from us.

If that is the case, then please instruct me on how to disable the DVD decoder and/or rogue DX audio plugin or whatever...

The rogue DX Audio plugin is not coming from us. It may have to do with your audio card drivers or something from your music software.

Haig

Comment

>The rogue DX Audio plugin is not
                        >coming from us. It may have to do with
                        >your audio card drivers or something
                        >from your music software.

Whatever is doing what, I repeat: the MPS 6 problem did not begin until I installed the G450. Nothing else was changed and I never installed the Ravisent player. Really. I'm not making this up. Heck, I'll even submit to a lie detector test... ;-)

Why not phone Ronald at Ulead (310-523-9391) and talk him into sending you a full copy of Media Studio Pro 6? Test it on a system with a G450. If the Video Editor module works, I promise to be quiet.

While you wait for the software, have fun with DXMan at AnalogX (http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/dxman.htm). It's for finding DirectX audio plugins, but it actually finds more than that.

Here is a quote from a post I received at rec.video.desktop from Craig Morris (http://home.midsouth.rr.com/mrbones/) which led me to suspect a DVD decoder:

"Do you have a DVD-ROM drive installed, or ever have one installed? I had
                        the same type of error, with the VEditor crashing as soon as it started to
                        load the DirectX audio filters. Ulead tech support informed me that MSP had
                        come incompatibilities with DVD decoders. I had already unistalled my card,
                        but it still left something behind that caused the crashes. I did everything
                        I could to fix it, but in the end, I was forced to reformat. After that, MSP
                        worked perfectly. Seems to be the only fix for the wonderful new technology."
                        Hugo

Comment

Why not phone Ronald at Ulead (310-523-9391) and talk him into sending you a full copy of Media Studio Pro 6?

Because I already have 3 copies that my Ulead contact had sent me a while back.

Test it on a system with a G450. If the Video Editor module works, I promise to be quiet.

I have been using this without any problems with the Marvel G400, G450/DC10+.

I can provide you with system specs if you like.

PS: That quote which you mentioned from the newsgroup is referring to a dvd decoder card.

Regards

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 13 October 2000).]

Comment

>>Why not phone Ronald at Ulead
                            >>(310-523-9391) and talk him into
                            >>sending you a full copy of Media
                            >>Studio Pro 6?

>Because I already have 3 copies
                            >that my Ulead contact had sent me
                            >a while back.

Good for you. Call him anyways, as he and Sam say that it is a Matrox driver problem. BTW, check that your tech person Mr. Balanca has access to a copy of MSP6. When we spoke, I though he said he didn't have MSP6 to test with.

>>Test it on a system with a G450.
                            >>If the Video Editor module works,
                            >>I promise to be quiet.

>I have been using this without any
                            >problems with the Marvel G400,
                            >G450/DC10+.

Then, like I promised, I will be quiet. No more messages from me.

>I can provide you with system specs
                            >if you like.

That would be nice. Thank you.

>PS: That quote which you mentioned
                            >from the newsgroup is referring to a
                            >dvd decoder card.

That is correct.

[This message has been edited by Hugo (edited 13 October 2000).]
                            Hugo

Comment

Here's what I use MSpro 6 and Premiere 5.x on:

Work
                              Dell XPS PIII 450
                              128m
                              G450/DC10+ (also the Marvel)
                              On board yamaha sound card
                              NIC
                              CD rom
                              Cd burner

Home
                              PIII 500
                              P3B-F
                              256m
                              Gina Audio card
                              Voyetra midi interface
                              Kingston nic
                              Promise fasttrak
                              RT-2k (Used the G450 for this test)
                              Bunch of DX plugins for sound forge and vst

I don't know who Donald and Sam are. My contacts are the software folks in Ulead CA and Taiwan. They will contact me if they believe this is truly our issue.

Haig

[This message has been edited by Haig (edited 14 October 2000).]

Comment

Working...
                              X