G450 and BX@133

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G450 and BX@133

Does the G450 supports the AGP bus running at 89Mhz? (PIII 700@933 on Abit Bx133 Raid).

Thank you

Borba Gato

I;ve got a G400 running at 133MHz BX (=89MHz AGP) without any problems right now... I don;t see why a G450 wouldn't

Comment

No, it doesn't "support" an 89MHz bus. There's no guarantee that it will work. It is however, highly likely.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat, you sound cautiously optimistic!!

Comment

You may have to force agp x1 if the system goes unstable.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's strange none of you congratulated him for his first post over here!

However back to the subject! I don't think any card at the moment supports an AGP bus runing over 66MHz however I have never had any problems with Matrox cards runing at that speed (unlike my old ati xpert@play)! But as The PIT (dit you know PIT means penis in sweadish hehe thats kind of cool "The Penis" LOL) said you may have to lower the AGP speed to 1x!
            BTW welcome!

------------------
            Join the MURC SETI team! | SETI @ MURC

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity. It eliminates dreams, goals, and ideals and lets us get straight to the business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Guru,
              you miserable finn. "Swedish" is spellt without an "a" and a swedish penis is so long the nickname needs to t:s.

But considering finnish grammar (and penises)I can understand the confusion.

Comment

<FONT SIZE=4>... ROTFLMAO<SUP>tm</SUP> ...
                <FONT SIZE=1><SUP>tm</SUP> courtesy of ALBPM aka Darth Mahl [MU]<FONT SIZE=2>

Just read my FRIGGN SIG for the answer

------------------
                P3-800 @ 1064MHz (133 x 8), ABIT BX133, 256MB PC150 HSDRAM,
                G450-32MB DDR on BNC,IBM Deskstars 18GB ATA/66 and 13.5GB ATA/66,
                21"Trinitron,SCSI CDR/RW,SCSI ZIP,SB Live!Value,USR Voice Faxmodem Pro,
                Epson 1520 printer,Umax1200S scanner,WN98 all in a Addtronics 7896A case
                and a (Not so Messy Desk) ;-P
                "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Thank you for the help!

Right now I have a voodoo 3 and it works great, so I think I'll not have any problems with the matrox. Every one here says that I'm crazy for not buying a Geforce, but I've seen it's 2D image quality and it sucks compared with the matrox and even my voodoo3. I'm not a fanatic gamer, what I need is great image quality (for a Sony 19' monitor) and a svhs out for watching DivX on my TV. It would be nice to have video in too (like a ATI Radeon), but I heard the ATI drivers for Win2K are very bad.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Borba Gato

Comment

btw, I want to make sure you know this before bying the G400:

The Gx00 series of cards can't properly play back DivX movies that don't have a horizontal resolution that is devidable by 32 (like 720xsomething).

Maybe this will be fixed in the future (by Matrox releasing either new drivers or a third party a fixed DivX codec).

Comment

Make sure that you thoroughly remove the Voodoo drivers. They're very persistent, and make for a very unstable system if another video card is installed without completely obliterating 3Dfx from your system.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thanks for the warning dZeus, and I hope this will be fixed very soon 'cause one of the main reasons I'm buying this card is for watching divX on my TV (the voodoo TV out is the worst I've seen. Does Matrox have some oficial statement about this bug.

And about removing the voodoo drivers, well I think it's time to reinstall windows anyway :-)

Comment

Thanks for the warning dZeus, and I hope this will be fixed very soon 'cause one of the main reasons I'm buying this card is for watching divX on my TV (the voodoo TV out is the worst I've seen. Does Matrox have some oficial statement about this bug.
                          Don't count on it. DivX ;-) is an codec that made illegal use of MS source code (MS MPEG-4).

Fortunately, the same problem also shows up with the MS MPEG-4 codec (.asf files), due to a bug in this codec. This can be fixed by MS releasing an updated codec.

The DivX ;-) problem will NOT be fixed, unless a new codec (3ivX or DivX ;-) Deux) is released, is backwards compatible with DivX ;-) and is not showing this problem.

Comment

From what I understand, the codec use is neither illegal nor from source. MS had released a codec that played DivX movies, but then re-released it to specifically block the playing of movies in the DivX specs. After that, people have figured out how to re-enable the playing of DivX files.

Comment

MS has released several codecs that are based on the MPEG-4 standard, but not fully compliant. These implementations had some serious flaws and missed some important features (like the use of the codec in .avi files).

A Frenchman and German reverse-engineerd one of these codecs (or got hold of the source), and made some changes to it. They improved the quality of the compression (and the screen), and re-enabled the use for compressing and .avi files). Further more, they defined that DivX ;-) files (as they called their 'new' codec), should use MP3 compression for the audio stream in stead of WMA (which sucks, because it doesn't allow for high enough bit-rates).

Microsoft has stopped development on the original DivX ;-) codec, and currently 2 groups are each developing a fully legal implementation of MPEG-4, that both should be backwards compatible with decoding DivX ;-) compression, and having better implementation too (even better quality/compression ratio). These new codecs are DivX ;-) Deux (developed by Project Mayonaise, including Gej, one of the 2 developers of DivX ;-) ), and 3ivX (by some Belgian people).

Comment

Working...
                              X